1989 Johnson GT150 Reeds

Ive replaced my metal reeds with some boyesen reeds(not installed yet). Anyone have any insight on them? Im not looking for any power gains. Shooting for an easy start and smooth purr. The motor is in the process of a complete rebuild. Id assume the rebuild alone should give it an easy start and smooth idle. Did i waste $150 on the reeds?

Thanks- Jason

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Never posted up pics of possible damaged crankshaft for us to see. I would worry about addressing compromised parts before worrying about fiber reeds. By the way, I have used both brands(Boyesen and Chris Carson) and love Chris Carson reeds. Reed cage prep is vital. Must be flat, smooth, no machine marks. Sand with sandpaper on a flat pane of glass til smooth and free of machine marks. Start with 320 and final 600. Also insure no light between petals and block and use loctite and torque to spec. Do not re-use OEM reed stop plate but use the Boyesen supplied parts.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Thanks, I installed as you stated. Very clean fit. Ill post the crank pictures today.