2005 Ranger 521VX and 2004 250XS Motor Transom Bolt Torque

Hello Everyone,

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to mounting motors. All I know is my motor was extremely loose on the transom this weekend. When I added my power poles about 4 years ago they had to pull the motor to mount the power pole bracket. I noticed in my driveway when I lowered the poles the entire bracket moved and swiveled on the bolt. I read online and found a few conflicting articles. I "think" that because I don't have a jackplate my bolts need to be tightened at 55 pounds. This is what I did.

But I read some guys tighten them to 80-90 pounds. I found an old mercury article stating that motor to fiberglass should be 55lbs and motor to jackplate can be much more. I just want to confirm this information here.

Also wondering if I should be worried about how loose they were and If I might have caused any unforeseen problems already.

Thank you!
    Steve

2. Member
    Need to hang the motor, and reseal the mounting bolts/motor with 3M 4200, and torque the bolts.

Good chance of leaking if they moved. Reason why start of every season, mounting hardware needs to be checked.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I talked to one of ranger's head install guys a while back about my 2000 ranger and the guy told me 80-90 for the transom to plate. I agree to check the bolts. also check to see if the nylon in the locknuts have become brittle and don't grab as well, this can happen with reusing, heat if the nuts were installed too quickly or age.
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

4. Member
    ive read everywhere 55 from transom to plate (or as close to 55 you can get without crushing the glass)

if you run a jack plate the JP to motor would be 100ft lbs

80-90ft lbs seems pretty darn high but this is info i got from the boards here and not directly from ranger
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

5. Member
    Thank you everyone for the replies. I didn't reseal. I understand my risk of leaking at the transom but would that be something I could wait and see if it happens? If I recall I don't have any wood in a 2005 transom so leaking wouldn't cause me any problems would it? Except for water in the bilge.

Thank you again!
    Steve

6. Member
    even though your transom isn't wood its still not an area you want saturated with water as it can / will cause damage over time.

I personally.. and I can presume 99% of others on here would agree... you really do need to seal up those bolts.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

7. Member
    This makes sense. To seal should I remove one bolt at a time, cover the bolt with 3M 4200 sealant, then re-tighten? Didn't know if there were any special tricks for this or not?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    even though your transom isn't wood its still not an area you want saturated with water as it can / will cause damage over time.

I personally.. and I can presume 99% of others on here would agree... you really do need to seal up those bolts.

8. Member
    sorry just saw that you replied...

you typically should clean everything out and re apply the bolts with the sealant. as you want to create a complete fresh seal. it sucks but there's not really a proper "shortcut" to do this and a transoms isn't something I'd want to chance with if you plan on keeping the boat long term.

On that note though... I just installed my own jackplate and it really ins't that bad of a job. it took more time cleaning off the old sealant then anything else put together.