Help with Intermittent Issue with 1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175 HP

It's a beautiful Saturday morning on the Columbia River, high clouds, water has just a touch of ripple, and I'm cruising downstream at 47 mph or so with a plan to catch the winning bag of smallies. I'm not at full throttle, it's about 4700 RPMS. About ten minutes into my run the motor just dies. Not like it's chocking on gas, like the kill switch engaged.

I restart it, pause to consider my next step, decide to continue downstream because there is a ramp I can reach by trolling motor if need be. I jump up on plane and get another five minutes downriver when the motor dies same way. I check the kill switch attachment. It's solid.

This time, I can't get it to restart, so I drop the trolling motor and head to the bank. We fish the bank for three hours until my mechanic calls me back. (yes, on a Saturday).

He has me flip the little red lever on the motor to the up position and try and turn it over, cranks but doesn't catch. He has me flip it back down, nothing. He has me put the motor in neutral full throttle and crank it over, cranks but doesn't catch. He asks is the gauges went dead when the motor quit. I didn't notice. We make an appointment for that evening.

We run the trolling motor to the backup ramp – while my partner hitches a ride to get the trailer, I get the motor started with neutral full throttle (accidentally while it's trimmed out of the water) and immediately throttle down and lower it into the water. Motor sounds fine.

We trailer back to the upriver launch, and after relaunching, the motor starts up and runs fine the rest of the afternoon (Upstream only in case I had to limp back to the launch on trolling motor), ran good for a solid ten minutes of run time on two occasions, including some full throttle at 5470). I'm thinking that all is good except my less than great bag of smallies.

The next morning we head upstream with fingers crossed. Ten minutes in to the trip, the motor dies. I notice the gauges died. It restarts and I get another five minutes or so and stop where I planned to fish. We fish a long stretch of bank for a couple hours, fire up the big motor and make a quick three minute move – no problems. We make another quick move a short time later – no problems. We make a longer ten minute move – no problem. Our tournament director asks me to come tow him to the dock, which we do and takes about 45 minutes run time – no problems. Fishing was better too.

Motor code is J175GLEOM. It was rebuilt once by Monte's Racing about two years ago. I've got about 40 hours on the rebuild. It's pushing a 1995 Lund Pro V 1890.

So, any ideas on what causes the early morning / first run / intermittent issue? Morning temps were in the upper 50s and afternoon temps were in the upper 60s, so it's not a big temperature swing.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

2. Member
    So if anyone else has this issue, it appears to have been a bad fuel bulb. Air was getting introduced into the fuel line, creating a void, and starving the motor.

Jon

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snag_Devil View Post
    So if anyone else has this issue, it appears to have been a bad fuel bulb. Air was getting introduced into the fuel line, creating a void, and starving the motor.

Jon
    If anyone else has this issue, just as it was explained, don't count on it being a bad primer bulb. JMHO

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Doesn't sound like a fuel issue at all. Sounds electrical to me.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Member
    I was incorrect that the gauges died. I was able to repeat the issue and the gauges stayed live.

6. Member
    OK guy's, those of you that have a motor like this, rest easy. You will get a solid warning horn if you run out of fuel pressure, and your motor won't just stop running like the kill switch was pulled. Things happen so fast that sometimes we really don't exactly know the sequence of events. A bad primer bulb can cause a loss of fuel.

7. Member
    Will you still get the alarm if VRO is disconnected? I ask because I ran out of gas the other day and didn’t hear an alarm.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCorbin View Post
    Will you still get the alarm if VRO is disconnected? I ask because I ran out of gas the other day and didn’t hear an alarm.
    That would depend on how you have your fuel system configured. Sometimes at low rpms you wont get a signal, but at 4700 you should get a signal.

9. Member
    Well crap. According to 316jughead (who I have no reason to doubt) maybe my problem isn't solved. I'll find out this weekend when I go out again.

To clarify, I know zilch about outboards. I was just trying to share what my mechanic told me after he did his diagnostic and ran the motor.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My eye lids grew heavy from the get go so I had to click on another post.

11. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    My eye lids grew heavy from the get go so I had to click on another post.
    More coffee Fred, more coffee!!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    More coffee Fred, more coffee!!
    Brian, this part got me sleepy.

It's a beautiful Saturday morning on the Columbia River, high clouds, water has just a touch of ripple, and I'm cruising downstream at 47 mph or so with a plan to catch the winning bag of smallies. I'm not at full throttle, it's about 4700 RPMS. About ten minutes into my run the motor just dies. Not like it's chocking on gas, like the kill switch engaged.

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snag_Devil View Post
    Well crap. According to 316jughead (who I have no reason to doubt) maybe my problem isn't solved. I'll find out this weekend when I go out again.

To clarify, I know zilch about outboards. I was just trying to share what my mechanic told me after he did his diagnostic and ran the motor.
    If I was a bettin' man, I'd say it will be back. Hopefully it doesn't strand you out in the middle of nowhere. The fact that you know "zilch" about outboards will make it pretty hard for the pros here (316jughead and ChampioNman) to help you troubleshoot it. Add in the fact that it is an intermittent problem, and that will make it twice as hard to troubleshoot. Even the best troubleshooters get frustrated with intermittent issues. They could probably give you an educated guess as to what might be the problem, but even then you'd have to tear into a motor that you know nothing about to change the part.
    Last edited by headhigh; 06-21-2019 at 08:21 AM. Reason: fixed a spelling error.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI