EM+93sv scrolling stops when waking from "Sleep"

Had this happen several times in the past couple days. I'll be easing around in my NuCanoe looking for bream beds on sideVu. When I locate some beds, I anchor to fish them. While anchored, I put the unit in Sleep mode via the power button menu, to save battery power. When I "wake" the unit up to resume scanning (push the power button once), the unit wakes up, but the SideVu display is frozen and does not scroll. Switching to trad sonar or down view, the same thing - no scrolling. I've tried many things to get it to resume, like: selecting pause and then play, changing the scroll speed from manual to auto, changing the screens to other sonar types. Only a power cycle brings it back - very annoying.

Not a power issue - 93 is powered by a recently purchased, well-charged Duracell Ultra AGM 28AH deep cycle battery, that is used only for the 93 on the kayak. This battery will run the unit for days, but I charge it every night anyway. The 93 power cable is connected directly to the battery (thru a 3A fuse) about 4' run. Voltage was 12.4V on the display, confirmed with a Fluke 187 DMM. Unit is mounted on a milk crate "tackle box" when in the kayak. Transducer, a CV52, is mounted on a kayak transducer mount. There are no other electronics on this boat, except the cell phone in my pocket.

SW is the latest update, 8.40 IIRC. Going back out Wed and can try any suggestions y'all may have. I will be calling Garmin tech support soon, just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this issue?

2. Member
    Have you pushed the power button a second time to see if the sleep mode is setting Transmit to OFF. Sounds like it is but not turning it back on.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Forgot to mention that; when scrolling has stopped, turning Sonar Transmit off and back on had no effect. I can't go tomorrow - UPS is bringing me my LiveScope system and needs a signature, but next time out (Wed), I will methodically test and see if I can identify a reproducible fault condition - unless fish are biting, then all bets are off.

Conditions as best I can recall: only SideVu on screen, default settings except manual range and scroll speed 6, boat not moving (was anchored and decided to put it to sleep while I fish). AC card (32 GB class 10 Sandisk, only the Georgia updated G3 map tiles loaded via AC) in the slot. Nothing connected except XD and power. Good battery. Mild temps.

Consulting with the engineers on this one. Be absolutely sure current software is loaded. Then backup your user data and try a factory reset to defaults to see if issue clears.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    I'm also an engineer. The SW is loaded and a reset was already tried. I don't have anything to backup.

Today I was able to get it to lock up coming out of sleep 2 out of 3 times. No rhyme or reason. The first time I recovered scroll by trying L2W's suggestion: I "Disabled all sonar" on the power menu, then re-enabled it. Scrolling resumed. The second time Was In trad sonar, went to sleep, but the sonar disable/enable cycle DID NOT recover scrolling. It only started scrolling after I made frequency change and selected auto depth. Then it resumed. I was fishing hard and didn't fool with it too much. Its not a show-stopper, just annoying.

6. Member
    I've been having the same issue. I've found that if I just leave it alone that it will start scrolling again after about 5 minutes. It shows the depth but just won't scroll.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

7. Member
    Just verified SW again for TD - absolutely my unit is running 8.40, also fully synced with AC, no updates available, shows my 93 and PLS. There wouldn't be a sleep option on the power menu if I wasn't running 8.40 - amiright? Also, there are 3 options for reset on system menu... I reset settings.

@Pipercub : I didn't have the patience to wait 5; when I see something ain't right, it kinda bothers me and I start checking... I'll try that next time out for another data point.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    Just verified SW again for TD - absolutely my unit is running 8.40, also fully synced with AC, no updates available, shows my 93 and PLS. There wouldn't be a sleep option on the power menu if I wasn't running 8.40 - amiright? Also, there are 3 options for reset on system menu... I reset settings.

@Pipercub : I didn't have the patience to wait 5; when I see something ain't right, it kinda bothers me and I start checking... I'll try that next time out for another data point.
    The first time it happened I was on a frog bite so I wasn’t about to stop and start fiddling with my electronics...lol

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Bringing this back to the top for Todd.....

I had the same thing yesterday on my 93+ unit......i specifically noticed that the 2d sonar stopped scrolling but digital depth reading continued to display and adjust.......as above i had to shut down/turn back on for it to function.....

Now that i think about it, when the software release first came out i updated and went fishing and had the same experience, but just thought it was rare hiccup and didnt think much about it......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    I have been experiencing the same issue. Echomap 93sv plus with cv52 transducer, software up to date. My console unit is split with sidevu and clearvu. After waking up from sleep mode sometimes the sidevu is scrolling correctly but the clearvu pane is frozen. Sometimes if I wait long enough it will start back up but recently I have been fully shutting down and powering back up to get it working. I “pause” my bow unit for moves and it’s never had the issue. I suppose I will start doing that for the console unit as well.

11. Member
    This should be easy for the engineers to duplicate and troubleshoot. It's definitely a bug.