Thread: New 4S setup

New 4S setup

Question - I have 07 520 running 4S 250 proxs with both 24p and 26p fury three blades the rpm with both is identical at 5400rpm. I have 10" bobs and runs best all the way down any movement up and she slows down. Also cannot trim it all the way up without losing speed. Motor is mounted second hole from top. Am I too high? 26p runs about 70-71 loaded and 24p runs 65.

2. Member
    Something seems wrong changing pitch and not getting more rpms. I go between a 24 and 25 and see about 150 more rpms and the same speed.

3. Member
    Should have had it mounted in the middle of the five holes. That allows you too raise if you need too.

Are you getting 100% full throttle? You will probably need to take it back to whoever rigged the motor.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info for your post. Thanks!

Sounds like you may have a setup or rigging problem here... also would be helpful to know if you're getting your RPM figures from a Smartcraft Instrument.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Sounds like you may have a setup or rigging problem here... also would be helpful to know if you're getting your RPM figures from a Smartcraft Instrument.[/QUOTE]

Readings are from Smartcraft gauge so accurate.

How would mounting in middle hole help? that would raise motor even more. I previously had HPDI so I am guessing that the hotfoot needs notch and throttle reset.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Has the throttle setup and the prop setup been checked on the Computer Diagnostic System (CDS-G3-2019)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. mikesxpress
    What is your prop to pad dimension with the plate down?

9. Member
    finally got to it, 2.5" PTP. wondering if i disconnected the hotfoot and just used shifter for throttle to determine if the hotfoot is my issue. i do not have a notched hotfoot. went from HPDI to 4S250proxs.

10. mikesxpress
    Josh if you have a CMS engine the cable for the hotfoot is the ONLY fuel control cable going to the engine. The days of running both the hotfoot and shift/throttle cable thru the tube to the engine (leaving the shift/throttle cable laying loose inside the housing) is over. The fancy new engine snout grommet only has room for one or the other.

11. Member
    Finally had a chance to get this resolved, well partially anyhow.

There is only one cable on my setup. I elected to just adjust the hotfoot stop bolt for now and see what worked. I shifted motor from 5" (plate all the way down) to 3.5" prop to pad and just moving the hotfoot stop extended travel to achieve 5600rpms. This single adjustment resulted in 75.5mph tourney loaded with Livewells full @ 5600rpm and fury 3 26p prop.

Not too shabby but there's plenty left in the tank with another 600rpms available.

Still beleive the throttle needs to be pc set to validate 100% full throttle is available.