Z119c rough water

Had a tournament Sunday water was really rough 25-30 mph winds with gust into the 40’s boat did ok but was having a hard time keeping the nose up kept wanting to slam down hard have a hydraulic jack plate and lowered it a bit to keep prop from blowing out and kept a little positive trim to try and keep nose up but that was not working took a little water over the bow not awful but I would like to improve my rough water driving also I am running a 24p fury 4 I was not trying to run them as I thought they was way to big probably 4 footers at times just looking for advice to safely navigate the big waves

2. Member
    Need to zig zag thru the waves if possible. Keep jackplate all the way down.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Running Erie in that kind of waves with a 119/519, I keep the engine down as much as possible and [as mentioned before] zig-zag rather than trying to keep the nose above the waves. The problem with bass boats in general, and with that hull in particular, is that with any significant speed and especially with much/any trim, the bow wants to go airborne over big waves. And then you have the problem of figuring out how to avoid coming down awkwardly, or in a bad spot [like right under the crest of a big one]. I do a lot of running when in 3-4 footers at barely planing speed—14-16 mph—and the motor trimmed all the way down. My thinking is that the waves tell you how fast you can run and whether trim will help, or not. When in doubt, trim down and slow down. Heavier boats with more dead rise, like a Z520, give us a lot more leeway and also stretch across the waves better. My $.02.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Thanks guys

5. Member
    From my experience with the boats I have owned under 20’ is that a 4 blade worsens the ride in rough water because they lift the ass end too much which causes the boat to get airborne. When your going through or around waves keeping the ass end planted helps tremendously. I have always found a softer ride with a 3 blade. Most 19 ft boats don’t need help with lift like a big 21’ may need. I would run a 24-25p fury 3 blade on yours

6. Member
    I fished Erie since 1988 and honestly you can't beat the old Merc High-Five for rough water. It's like having four-wheel-drive and the throttle response / bow lift is instantaneous. I even ran it on the Ohio River on days when we had strong south winds. I lost about 5 mph on top end but in rough conditions it didn't matter. I always lowered the plate as low as possible but actually used just a hair of upward trim. It was the perfect combo for that set up and that included a 361-V, 518VX, and Z20. Just my own experience.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    I fished Erie since 1988 and honestly you can't beat the old Merc High-Five for rough water. It's like having four-wheel-drive and the throttle response / bow lift is instantaneous. I even ran it on the Ohio River on days when we had strong south winds. I lost about 5 mph on top end but in rough conditions it didn't matter. I always lowered the plate as low as possible but actually used just a hair of upward trim. It was the perfect combo for that set up and that included a 361-V, 518VX, and Z20. Just my own experience.

I run a High Five 25p repitched to a 26p on my 2013 Z119 all the time. I do lose 2-3 mph on top end, but like the quick hole shot, rough water control, and overall boat control. I fish the Ohio River most of the time.

8. Member
    Slow down and learn how to tack the waves (some called it zig zag). I've been bass fishing since the late 70's and have only owned one 20'er. My boats were almost always a 18, with a couple of 17's thrown in. IMO 19 seems to be ideal. My 20'er was comfortable as all get out on semi rough water, BUT it could be a handful in really rough water. Maybe it was because I was used to a hull that would just respond to my inputs and the bigger boat felt like a barge? True four footers are time to get off the water in a bass boat, it would be REAL easy to stuff one in water like that or even worse have one break over the back...following seas can be a death nail.

I don't claim to be an expert. I learned in a 16 and then a 17' boat on Santee Cooper from some old salty Navy dudes in my bass club back then.

What ever you do make sure to secure EVERYTHING when running rough water in any bass boat. I am talking putting it away, not just tying it down. The first time you stuff a wave you'll see the power of water.

I'm not familiar with the hull in question? In general the more degree of that vee the better in the rough stuff, and how far back is that carried? Some Rangers just seem to be flat. My RT188 sits on top of the water and is awful in rough water. I put rain gear on when it gets rough because I know it's going to be a wet ride. It does however respond VERY well to throttle input and has got me back in water that I'd wished I'd left earlier instead of "one more casting it" for a while before leaving LOL.