Thread: fuel line size

fuel line size

250xs Im going to replace my fuel line this week # 0t653142 is the correct size 3/8ths from tank to bulb and 5/16ths from bulb to motor thanks .

2. Member
    Yes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yes.
    Savage why are the fuel line sizes different like that? There must be some reason for the different sizes. I'm curious about this.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine fuel pump requires 5/16". 3/8" from tank to bulb is the "standard" for A1-15 (below deck) fuel line.

MERCURY or QUICKSILVER primer bulbs are sized to accept both (either) size lines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
    Savage why are the fuel line sizes different like that? There must be some reason for the different sizes. I'm curious about this.
    Because the size of the end fittings dictate the size of the hoses.

6. Member
    I like 3/8 all the way myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I like 3/8 all the way myself
    But the fittings on the pulse pump and the pulse pump side of the primer bulb are made for 5/16" diameter hose, 3/8" hose is a sloppy fit the allows the possibility of vacuum leaks.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    But the fittings on the pulse pump and the pulse pump side of the primer bulb are made for 5/16" diameter hose, 3/8" hose is a sloppy fit the allows the possibility of vacuum leaks.
    And the very real possibility of a fuel leak as well.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Engine fuel pump requires 5/16". 3/8" from tank to bulb is the "standard" for A1-15 (below deck) fuel line.

MERCURY or QUICKSILVER primer bulbs are sized to accept both (either) size lines.
    Thank you for the information Don and Savage.
    I was confused by the "black" 3/8" line from the tank and knew that there was also a "black" line from the pulse pump but and I wrongly assumed it was also 3/8". I see that it is 5/16" also.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
    Thank you for the information Don and Savage.
    I was confused by the "black" 3/8" line from the tank and knew that there was also a "black" line from the pulse pump but and I wrongly assumed it was also 3/8". I see that it is 5/16" also.
    You can, if you want, eliminate the OEM black hose from the pulse pump and run the 5/16" line from the bulb all the way to the pulse pump thereby eliminating a potential restriction at the junction between the two hoses.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax