Trailer wiring Problem - 2004 Ranger

Trailer Backup lights not working, and Trailer brake lights go off when I put truck in reverse... I just re-connected my 5-pin pigtail, wanted to tidy it up and put heat shrink tubing on (it looked crappy with old electrical tape wrapped on it). Everything else works properly - brake lights, turn signals, running lights/markers.

I use an adaptor for the 5-pin flat connector to the round receptacle on the truck. Trailer has 6 wires coming up to the harness - two brown (I believe it's one for each side of trailer for tail and marker lights), one green and one yellow (left and right turn/tail lights), and two red (which are actually blue, one is spliced from the blue coming off brake solenoid and one is spliced to reverse lights blue wire). The attached picture is "before", I have double/triple/quintuple checked that the "after" current connections are the same, and are solid.

The two brown trailer wires are connected together to the brown wire from pigtail; green and yellow to green and yellow; and the two red (blue) are connected together to the blue from pigtail.

The pigtail has a white ground wire that was/is not connected to anything. I don't understand why there is a ground coming from the harness that wouldn't be connected to anything? It was just wrapped under the tape.

To the best of my knowledge, everything was working how it should before I re-did the connections.

Any ideas what would cause the issue(s) with the backup lights please? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mibassranger; 05-20-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    2004 Ranger 619VS

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=181193 Make sure that the purple wire from the 7 pin round lines up with that blue wire. The blue wire on the 7 round is for electric brakes!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ground needs to be connected to the frame. That’s what’s causing your problems.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

The white wire is Ground and should be connected to the trailer frame using a ring connector and a stainless screw.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents