Mystery fuel leak

Hey, I'm looking for some help as I am stumped. I have an 04 ranger 619fs with a 200 etec. I'll start by saying ever since I got it, it doesn't let me put more than 15 gallons in the gas tank from empty before it spits gas back out at me. This isn't really a big problem because the lakes around here are no more than a couple miles long but nonetheless I know it should hold more than that. Second I have a kicker motor that used to run but last summer suddenly wouldn't run, it wasn't getting fuel and I could not get the primer bulb to harden up even after I replaced it. After that I just didn't get to look into it anymore since then because I very seldom have use for it. I checked the connection to the tank and it was secure. Now the main issue I'm having is last week I put maybe 10-15 gallons in the tank, I ran the boat at about 5000 rpms for about 6 miles. Took it out the next day, went about a mile at about 1500 rpms, fished a probably 6 hours with the engine off, then tried to head back to the dock and I limped back as far as I could get because I was out of gas. I thought that was weird because I knew I hadn't used it that much since I last filled it up. So the next day i put 10 gallons in, which is all it would let me. Motor started right up and I went the same mile at the same rpms as the day before no problems. Fished 6 hours again, started it up and bam out of gas again. So now I'm panicking and there is a slight aroma of gas in the air. I expected all my gas had leaked out somewhere and was probably in my hull. So I turn on my pumps and smell the water its pumping out and nothing. Not the slightest smell of gas. Where did it go? I know I'm not burning 10 gallons of gas just going a mile at 1500 rpms. I'm going to try to get into this more tomorrow since I have time but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2. Member
    U have to have a leak going on somewhere and if its leaking that much then probably the gas tank. Maybe you can take the seats out and see what the tank looks like. With the tank exposed you can put some fuel in it and see if you find it coming from the tank. If you expose the tank, maybe you can also figure out why you can only get 15 gallons of gas in the tank. I would try and call Ranger and see if they can help you. Good luck
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 05-20-2019 at 12:10 PM.

3. Member
    Water in the tank, taking up room in it possibly?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    You cant just pull up the floor or seats to expose the gas tank can you? That doesn't sound possible or is there something I dont know? How could it even run correcting with water in the gas tank?

5. Member
    Fuel/water separation, seen alot of it in saltwater rigs up here in New Bedford area. Obviously fuel burns water don't.
    Since it seems to be a dilemma, if it were me, I'd pull the seats and pump out the tanks, start a new, take it from there.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    I have a 2004 619VS (didn't even know there was a 619FS in 2004?) - my gas tank is accessible through a round opening in the floor in front of and in between the two front seats (to get to the sensor and cap with the float on it for the gas guage), and also visible by removing the vent plate on the back side of the step going to the front deck (behind the end of the center rod locker, from here I can see the fill tube connecting to the tank). It's not like a 500 Series configuration, the seats don't have to be moved to get to it. My tank holds 48 gallons of fuel. I have learned that it does not vent well when filling it up, I have to pump slowly and stop once in awhile to let the fuel settle, but can continue filling to the "top"... I have a MercMonitor/SmartGauge that will show a calculated number of gallons used, it's usually fairly accurate so I know what to expect when I go to fill up at gas station. You should easily be able to see if it's full by looking in either of those spots, and/or by removing the cap with the float and looking directly in the tank.
    That being said, seems to me if you put 10 gallons in and went a mile maybe it wasn't out of gas? If it were leaking, especially that much, you would have to be able to smell it when you fill it up or in your driveway... so I would guess (it's only a guess) that there are problems with water in the gas, fuel filter/fuel lines, or something else entirely. Sounds like it may be time to have a technician look at it... once you've ruled out the leak or identified where it's leaking.
    Feel free to PM or email me if I can help - with pictures of mine, or anything! Good luck brother.
    2004 Ranger 619VS

First thing I'd do is pump the tank and see if there is water in it. Then I'd replace the hose all the way from the tank to the motor including the bulb, filter and water separator. I'd even try to replace the "Puke Tube" at the gas cap. You'll need to have access to the tank to do this. Then start with a fresh tank of fuel.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents