Question 2002 TR-185 Livewell Filling Up.

Edit: Marking this solved...I found the hole in the bottom of the livewell my neighbor swore wasn't there. SEE BELOW.

Yeah. So I just got this boat and noticed that sometimes my livewell is filling up. I don't have the Flow-Rite system or a valve to turn.

So I'm guessing it's either:

1. The missing plug (not the main drain) on the bottom of my transom which I doubt,
    2. or the water is coming from my over flow drain when I put my motor in reverse,
    3. or possibly the rubber plug laying in the livewell goes to a hole my buddy didn't see,
    4. or none of the above.

Any input?
    Last edited by SUBSEVEN; 05-23-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    2005 Crestliner Serenity 1700 with a 2015 Mercury 115 4-Stroke. Battery Cutoff, MK, onboard wash off hose, HB, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC
    : 150 Merc XR6 with a 23 Tempest Prop, Dual Garmin 93SVs, 24V MK Maxxum, 3 Bank MK, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

2. Member
    My son has a 2002 TR-186 and I'm guessing they are setup the same. The rubber plug goes in the drain at the bottom of the livewell. The drain line sits vertical on the starbord side. At least that's how it is in his boat. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by bo tebo View Post
    My son has a 2002 TR-186 and I'm guessing they are setup the same. The rubber plug goes in the drain at the bottom of the livewell. The drain line sits vertical on the starbord side. At least that's how it is in his boat. Hope this helps
    Thanks. But I just have that one hole in the middle under the divider where the screen screws on. It's a little bigger hole and you'd have to screw the screen off just to access it every time.
    2005 Crestliner Serenity 1700 with a 2015 Mercury 115 4-Stroke. Battery Cutoff, MK, onboard wash off hose, HB, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC
    : 150 Merc XR6 with a 23 Tempest Prop, Dual Garmin 93SVs, 24V MK Maxxum, 3 Bank MK, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

4. Member
    Is it "Filling Up", or just getting a couple of inches of water inside?

5. Member
    PM sent Jamey
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

Savage, it gets none to 2/3 full. Last time I went out, it didn’t appear to get any.

Bob. Got it. Thanks. I will feel around down there to see if my buddy with the good eyes missed the hole or not. Lol.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC

7. Member
    There are 2 holes in the bottom of the livewell. 1 should have a screw on mesh screen. This is for rec. And pump out. Other hole is a drain hole. Rubber plug goes in there. If not, livewell will fill up with water. Water wont come in your over flow hole, at the top of livewell.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw05 View Post
    There are 2 holes in the bottom of the livewell. 1 should have a screw on mesh screen. This is for rec. And pump out. Other hole is a drain hole. Rubber plug goes in there. If not, livewell will fill up with water. Water wont come in your over flow hole, at the top of livewell.
    I had an 03 TR-185 DC. Outlaw05 is correct except for the part about the opening with the wire mesh. The one with a wire mesh is the “Livewell Pump Out”. The TR-185 did not have a recirculating pump. I actually added a recirculating pump to the livewell. If you don’t plug the hole, it won’t fill up all the way but it will fill to the water line on the boat. If I remember correctly, it will fill approximately to about 1/3 capacity. If you plug the hole you should not get any water in the livewell. You may get a little through the overflow if you back your boat into the water very fast when launching. I actually added a remote valve to open and close the livewell so I didn’t have to use the stopper. I know a lot of people prefer the stopper but I never had any issues with the remote valve. I gave the boat to my nephew a few years ago and the remote valve still works fine.
    Good Luck,
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Thanks guys. I will check that soon. Tell me more about this remote valve setup and how much it costs.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBSEVEN View Post
    Thanks guys. I will check that soon. Tell me more about this remote valve setup and how much it costs.
    It was a TH Marine Livewell Valve Control kit that I bought from Bass Pro many years ago. It was $45 or $50 but that was a long time ago. They no longer carry it but I think it was actually made by Flow-Rite. It looks identical to the one they sell. It’s just an open/close valve that is controlled by a knob. I mounted the knob on the side wall about 2” from the floor. There is a perfect spot for it. I could reach it easily from the driver seat. I just had to reach down and turn the knob to either open or close the livewell. I installed the valve right where the drain hose attaches to the drain fitting. I cut the hose some and installed the valve between where I cut the hose. The whole system consists of only 3 parts:the knob, cable and valve. I don’t remember the length of the cable but you could easily measure that. I can still get some photos of where I mounted the knob. Like I said before my nephew still has the boat. Here are some photos from Flow-Rite’s website. I even added a recirculating pump and a variable timer that would control the fill pump or the recirculating pump with a flip of a toggle switch. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Good Luck
    194A45CE-B346-4367-922E-1683FF84B5CE.jpegC15150A0-D791-4CAE-9052-F51776BFCF75.jpegCB0870B6-507D-460C-A47F-AC994BFC8379.jpeg
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Thanks guys. I found it when I looked. My buddy swore there wasn't one there. It sits sideways down in there.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

That remote system does look cool! I'll probably get one.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC

Mike. Thanks. Looks easy enough to install. Might get one depending on feedback.

Last edited by SUBSEVEN; 05-23-2019 at 07:42 AM.

2002 Triton TR-185 DC

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBSEVEN View Post
    Mike. Thanks. Looks easy enough to install. Might get one depending on feedback.

Yes, it was very easy but a little time consuming. The only difference is they didn't have the Qwik-Lok 15 years ago. The hose just connected directly to the valve stems and used regular hose clamps. They also now use a new and improved knob. The hardest part was getting everything out of the way to get to drain hose. Like I said previously, my nephew still uses it with no problems. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Good Luck,
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike