Thread: Student loans

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    Why even bring that up? It wasnt part of the discussion yet you brought it up like race matters when it doesnt.

Post 16 of the original post brought it up. Part of why it got closed. Sad that is what some choose to focus on about the story.

I don't care how rich someone is but $40M is still a lot to give away.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984771

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Post 16 of the original post brought it up. Part of why it got closed. Sad that is what some choose to focus on about the story.

I don't care how rich someone is but $40M is still a lot to give away.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=984771
    Sad that some people brought it back into the thread at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    Sad that some people brought it back into the thread at all.

Personally I'm happy for all involved. Some of those 400 graduates will go on and do great things that will positively affect others. Hope that cycle continues. I dont care if they are black, white, green or blue. Good is good in my way of thinking.

Hopefully the 400 are truly grateful and get the desire to pass it on. Pretty cool thing done by donor.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I know that some of you cannot see how anyone could get into student loan debt so...I’ll tell you. I was the first in my family to get any type of education. I believe my brothers, father had GEDs and my mom graduated high school. Doing well in school wasn’t exactly a priority in my house. When alcoholism killed my dad when I was 15 I decided I wasn’t turning wrenches my entire life.

I racked up a large amount of student loans in undergrad and law school. I could have taken out MUCH less but I never had anyone in my life to teach me how to deal with money, point blank.

Im 43 new and still owe around 60k, out of the 200+ I ended up with.

IF I could go back I would do so many thinks differently, but obviously that’s not an option. Not paying isn’t an option either!

Im glad this person did this, it’s a gift these people won’t truly understand for many years but HE knows how much he is impacting their futures! I don’t care how much money he has, he changed lives so good on him!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    That absolutely blew my mind that some found negative in the story. Stunning actually.

The gentleman that donated it was extremely generous and I loved his comments during the speech. Humble and classy. He unlike many out his money where his mouth is. He changed a lot of lives by doing so.the world needs more of that.
    Same for me Mark. I was looking for whatever could have prompted anything negative and couldn't find anything. Just a feel good story of someone who made it big helping others out.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

7. Member
    Why do you jump to “fake news”? Have we become so jaded that a feel good story can’t be really a feel good story? 40 million is a large number.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    What an amazing gesture!!! If I had that kind of money I would do the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Why do you jump to “fake news”? Have we become so jaded that a feel good story can’t be really a feel good story? 40 million is a large number.
    And this isn't the first time he's given away multi millions.

Sounds like an awesome gesture. Anyone that finds negativity in a story like this is obviously a miserable person

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Glad to see this story. Great to see the billionaire help out the students and the students starting their work career without a big debt over their head.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

12. Member
    Scott's Tots!

-b-

Private Money! Awesome Gesture............Nothing else matters. The person just changed the lives of 40 people for the better
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Private Money! Awesome Gesture............Nothing else matters. The person just changed the lives of 40 people for the better
    Actually almost 400 people.

I think it's a much better use of the money than having another library or stadium built with one's name on it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    One million dollars per person.
    I assume you aren't one of the graduates rom the math department?

17. Banned
    Outstanding....

Wish others would fallow his lead no matter what amount the world would be a much better place.

18. Banned
    That absolutely blew my mind that some found negative in the story. Stunning actually.
    I agree...

Who's to say he didn't do anything for those who may not have student loan debt???... It was (or at least the article I read) a feel good story not an in-depth investigative article... Maybe for those students that were athletes, on academic scholarship or who had parents pick up the bill, he set something else up for them... Maybe a 401k, a scholarship fund for their kids, or he back low interest home loans... Until one of the kids who "didn't get anything" piss and moans we'll never know what he did for them... Great financial head start for the ones he helped out... Now they have a responsibility to pay it forward... Dan

19. Banned
    Awesome! He has changed family trees for many generations with this donation!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I think it's a much better use of the money than having another library or stadium built with one's name on it.
    Seeing that Morehouse College has about 2,300 students and a library or research facility would serve all the students all the time, I could see where a new one would have been a better investment... Stadiums tend to be a rallying hub for the whole college, I can see where it provide a greater good for many years to come... Not a one time shot in the arm...

On a lighter note, who'll be the most in demand commencement speaker next year???... Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast