carpet question for a '93 481vs

I am taking on the task of replacing my carpet on my '93 481vs. I was looking around to get some stuff ordered up and found a vender here on BBC. Does
    anyone know what carpet Ranger uses 16oz, 20oz, 24oz? And the better question is what would be best for my carpet job??? Any tips (other than have someone else do it!!) would be greatly needed!! Thanks

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    go at least 20 oz and IMO dont go for any brand of carpet other then Syntac.

who sells that brand?

4. Member
    1979-1995 Rangers used a 14 oz carpet. Much heavier carpet, and lids will be tight.

so is the better carpet the lower the he number? what should I use on this job so everything fits?

Quote Originally Posted by AHens View Post
    1979-1995 Rangers used a 14 oz carpet. Much heavier carpet, and lids will be tight.
    This is correct.

I redid my carpet in December and called Ranger and spoke with them direct. 14 oz was used on my ('90 model) boat, and I went with the 16 oz (recommended) that they now put on the aluminum rigs. Everything worked very well...not even any need for trimming the lids.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

It is WELL worth using heavy carpet and just shaving the side of the lids with hair clippers. It is a lot of work to re-carpet a bass boat. Ranger uses and sells Syntac carpet. I did my 1990 363v and had a 2000dvx done recently. One more bit of advice, light color is a lot cooler. Dark carpet gets so hot you won’t be fishing barefoot in the sun.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

8. Member
    Does Ranger sell the pre cut carpet kits for specific models? I am looking to do my '04 Ranger 185VS

9. Member
    They do not and the pre-cut kits off the internet are not what you might think. They are not cut to fit and need a lot of trimming to fit.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Use your pieces you take out as rough templates better then any pre cut carpet I put 24 oz in mine lids are tight just shaved them, agree go with syntec and at least 20 even if have to shave lids you will be glad you did.

To piggy back on what K&K said.

I have read that you can soak your existing carpet with goof off, let it sit over night, and the next day peel up the entire piece of carpet to use as a template.

I have never done this so I'd probably try it with a compartment lid first. I'd also want to wash the goof off out of the template before I laid it on my new carpet.

You also might want to consider padding the front deck around the trolling motor. A quick google search turned up this, https://www.bassboatseats.com/produc...carpet-padding I've never used it so I can't speak to the quality or the like.

Thanks for all the tips guys.. :)

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I agree with syncros I have heard of that working if your glue still has a great bond. Most times if you have a older boat and the carpet is in need of replacing your glue is so worn out and dried out usually you can get on a corner and start pulling and you would be surprised how easy it will come up. Now removing the old glue, is alot of work and a time consuming process.

14. Member
    make sure you roll the carpet out when you get it and turn it so the nap it right,then take a piece of chalk and mark it with arrows pointing to front of boat,put a bunch of arrows on it to keep it all in the same direction,i would like to have a dollar for every boat i have seen with the carpet put in wrong,if you turn the nap wrong when done you will think you have two different colors,i think thats why guys charge 1500.00 to do one,there is a lot of small tricks to doing the job so it looks like a pro done it,you can do it just do lot of research on doing it,good luck

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Solid advice , I used a marker rolled my carpet and did the back of the whole roll with arrows no getting a piece wrong that way , even went as far as putting tape under my lids with arrows. So match arrow to arrow, no getting a piece wrong. Used the sticky on how cut the corners.