Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    s

Right, all Panoptix transducers have built-in overheat protection. Per the lead Panoptix engineer, there is no danger to the transducer from overheating due to the temperature at which it powers down. Nothing wrong with being overcautious either, but he says there are no concerns relative to this. I only see mine overheating during extreme conditions - middle of summer, air temps in the mid-90s and sunny, TM stowed for at least 15 minutes.
    Agree with you Todd, it depends on which engineer one speaks with. Good information and call me a bit over cautious. Thanks

I ran across this old thread as I had the overheat happen to me yesterday. Very hot, no wind, blue-bird sky day yesterday. My question is, if the SLEEP mode does not disable the LS transducer from pinging, what does the SLEEP mode actually do?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    I ran across this old thread as I had the overheat happen to me yesterday. Very hot, no wind, blue-bird sky day yesterday. My question is, if the SLEEP mode does not disable the LS transducer from pinging, what does the SLEEP mode actually do?
    Rests the screen, but even with transducer turned off it can overheat by the sun and temperature. Just deploy the thing and with in a few seconds your good to go
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Does the Pause icon only rest the screen as well?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Does the Pause icon only rest the screen as well?
    I believe the pause on the screen only pauses the one image, and over time is actually hard on the screen. And the black box continues to work, not sure if it is working as hard as normal or not but it is not resting. So going in and stopping transducer is the best.

Thanks....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Had this happen to me Wednesday. 88 degrees while launching the boat. Sat tied up for a few minutes. Transducer started working again after less than a minute in the water.

8. Member
    This happens to me in the summer. Everything seems fine once it gets in the water.

If I understand Todd correctly I’m not sure turning sonar transmit off will help. The pinging of the transducer is not causing it to overheat; sitting out in the sun while stowed is. It’s getting hot whether it’s pinging or not you’re just not going to get the notification if it’s not on.

I’m not sure what can be done for that other than not keeping it stowed long or getting it a tiki drink umbrella.

9. Member
    Is there a reason that most if not all transducers are black? Wouldn't a white transducer absorb less heat from sunshine?

10. Member
    I know that I always have a ghost tree when deploying my sun-warmed transducer. Depending on water temp the tree vanishes when the transducer cools off.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOFC View Post
    I know that I always have a ghost tree when deploying my sun-warmed transducer. Depending on water temp the tree vanishes when the transducer cools off.
    That’s interesting. Haven’t noticed it before but I’ll be looking for it now.

I have seen this as well. Also the focus is off, because it's using a temperature to decide the density of the water.

13. Member
    Not the best pic, but this is what I was referring to after having transducer stowed in hot sun for a few minutes. And yes I like to run my gain and color gain hot so there is junk on the screen as well20210614_144700.jpg

14. Member
    Happened to me last week, was over 100 outside... once she was down in the water cooled right off and was good to go

15. Member
    Good question! I asked in a previous reply but seems Todd doesn’t want to answer, for whatever reason!

Heard of “designed to fail”?!

Is there a reason that most if not all transducers are black? Wouldn't a white transducer absorb less heat from sunshine?

16. Member
    Anyone knows?

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    So Todd, will the Sun make the transducer plastic & rubber (and possibly sealant) brittle like glasses someday? I had a post here asking for a cover to protect the transducer from Sunshine when in transportation, and seems people thought I was over cautious. Now I think I am not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12