Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livescope Transducer Overheat?

After fishing on Saturday, my 1222 beeped and said transducer overheat. 88 degree sunny day. It had been out of the water(stowed) for more than an hour and the transmit(pinging) was OFF. Buddy was backing the truck in at a crowded ramp or I would have turned it on and put it back in the water to test. Anybody else have this happen yet?

Yes, it has overheat protection. I have observed this several times when stowed for 20+ minutes in the summer. Normal operation begins very soon after re-deployment and temperature drops.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    What part is overheating, the transducer itself and not the black box? I've been wondering the best place to mount my black box to be able to see the indicator lights as well as let it get fresh air.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, it has overheat protection. I have observed this several times when stowed for 20+ minutes in the summer. Normal operation begins very soon after re-deployment and temperature drops.
    The transducer itself

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Never have saw this and have been out the last 3 months everyday.Good to know about

104* upper limit
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Good to know. Thanks

8. Banned
    Happened to me once, now I turn transmit to off when moving spot to spot. I think it turns if off but not 100% sure.

9. Member
    Could be an issue here in Arizona desert lakes, 104* but I go to Oregon then where it is cooler :)

I use the new sleep option when moving from spot to spot. Just hit the power button to wake it.

11. Member
    Todd is well versed on the transducer heat situation correct me if I am wrong Todd It also occurs with the other panoptix transducers not just live scope. Engineers tell me its hard-on shrink used inside the transducer. They went on to caution me that it is not a good idea for it to happen multiple times. As each time can shorten the life of the transducer. I put a switch on each of my transducers. When I move to another spot or raise them out of the water for any reason turn them off

s
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Todd is well versed on the transducer heat situation correct me if I am wrong Todd It also occurs with the other panoptix transducers not just live scope. Engineers tell me its hard-on shrink used inside the transducer. They went on to caution me that it is not a good idea for it to happen multiple times. As each time can shorten the life of the transducer. I put a switch on each of my transducers. When I move to another spot or raise them out of the water for any reason turn them off
    Right, all Panoptix transducers have built-in overheat protection. Per the lead Panoptix engineer, there is no danger to the transducer from overheating due to the temperature at which it powers down. Nothing wrong with being overcautious either, but he says there are no concerns relative to this. I only see mine overheating during extreme conditions - middle of summer, air temps in the mid-90s and sunny, TM stowed for at least 15 minutes.
    Garmin Pro Team

13. Member
    So Todd, will the Sun make the transducer plastic & rubber (and possibly sealant) brittle like glasses someday? I had a post here asking for a cover to protect the transducer from Sunshine when in transportation, and seems people thought I was over cautious. Now I think I am not.

s

Right, all Panoptix transducers have built-in overheat protection. Per the lead Panoptix engineer, there is no danger to the transducer from overheating due to the temperature at which it powers down. Nothing wrong with being overcautious either, but he says there are no concerns relative to this. I only see mine overheating during extreme conditions - middle of summer, air temps in the mid-90s and sunny, TM stowed for at least 15 minutes.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    I use the new sleep option when moving from spot to spot. Just hit the power button to wake it.
    How do you put it asleep.?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    How do you put it asleep.?
    Push the power button. Will pop up asking if you want to put to sleep or turn off. This is for a +93sv

16. Banned
    Thank you. Will that turn the ducer off also.?

Thank you. Will that turn the ducer off also.?
    With all Panoptix transducers, along with GCV10 and 20 sonar boxes, these devices do not stop pinging when MFD is in Sleep Mode. If you wanted to disable pinging from these devices, you must select Disable All Sonar from the unit Power menu. Other transducers running off built-in MFD sonar do quit transmitting when the MFD is in Sleep Mode.
    Garmin Pro Team

18. Member
    Can Garmin fix it in the software? Should be feasible since Disable transmitting is also software controlled, not a hard button.

With all Panoptix transducers, along with GCV10 and 20 sonar boxes, these devices do not stop pinging when MFD is in Sleep Mode. If you wanted to disable pinging from these devices, you must select Disable All Sonar from the unit Power menu. Other transducers running off built-in MFD sonar do quit transmitting when the MFD is in Sleep Mode.

19. Banned
    So if I go to menu and press Transmit to off will that turn off ducer for LS.? Or do I need to kill power to the box.?

So if I go to menu and press Transmit to off will that turn off ducer for LS.? Or do I need to kill power to the box.?
    Yes, you can specifically go to the LiveScope menu, then disable transmit, or to disable all system transducers at once, you can go to the Power button Menu, and select Disable All Sonar Trans. But as stated before, simply putting an MFD in Sleep Mode does not stop the LiveScope xducer from transmitting.
    Garmin Pro Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast