question on adding padding for the front deck

so here soon im going to be recarpeting my boat front to back and have been thinking of adding in a padded deck piece to the front.
    on this padding does it glue down just like the carpet then glue the carpet to it?
    not sure the best way to go about it.

2. Member
    yes, weldwood makes a glue to go under rubber, it's not an air dry like their landau. just buy the quarts can, and then you can buy a gallon of the landau and trim glue. You can brush it on if you have to, it is a glue that can be sprayed from a paint gun and that's the best way. the rubber glue is a creamy white glue, when sprayed it comes out like a cob web, cool chit just tighten up the spray pattern. Birdsong is another glue, but for a single boat it isn't worth the expense . I've seen the rubber glue at true value and ace stores.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

I don't have a spray gun so that's not an option.
    can the normal type of 3m spray adhesive work?
    still a little lost on this one

4. Member
    Never used 3m. How do you go through life without and air compressor?
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    How do you go through life without and air compressor?
    It blows.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I don't have a spray gun so that's not an option.
    can the normal type of 3m spray adhesive work?
    still a little lost on this one
    get a cheap one from Harbor Freight Luke! dont want or need a good one for glue.

7. Member
    Metal spray can from harbor freight with a 20 percent coupon as k&k mentioned. Cheap and does a good job!

What kind of padding is put down? I am guessing some kind of closed cell foam will work?

Use Wildwood contact ( red can) for the padding & carpet. You don't need to specialize different glues. Put it down with a paint brush. I used about 5-6 brushes from harbor freight, about .69 cents each. For goodness sakes, you don't need a spray gun. The only thing you have to watch with the contact glue is that it sets quickly. Once you lay that padding or carpet down you better have it right. Cut your padding exactly as it will lay. Put it in the boat & make sure it fits exactly, do the same thing for the carpet. When I did mine, I started at one spot, corner or whatever, applied the glue and rolled the pad/carpet a little at a time to make sure it was right. Mine came out as perfect as you could get it. I also put new carpet trim on the front, cockpit & rear. This was put down with 3M tape, no screws/rivets, etc. Looks great. Also, ANY closed cell padding works & you don't have to pay $85 + for a small piece. Shop around, you'll be glad you did. I can post some pics of mine finished if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Use Wildwood contact ( red can) for the padding & carpet. You don't need to specialize different glues. Put it down with a paint brush. I used about 5-6 brushes from harbor freight, about .69 cents each. For goodness sakes, you don't need a spray gun. The only thing you have to watch with the contact glue is that it sets quickly. Once you lay that padding or carpet down you better have it right. Cut your padding exactly as it will lay. Put it in the boat & make sure it fits exactly, do the same thing for the carpet. When I did mine, I started at one spot, corner or whatever, applied the glue and rolled the pad/carpet a little at a time to make sure it was right. Mine came out as perfect as you could get it. I also put new carpet trim on the front, cockpit & rear. This was put down with 3M tape, no screws/rivets, etc. Looks great. Also, ANY closed cell padding works & you don't have to pay $85 + for a small piece. Shop around, you'll be glad you did. I can post some pics of mine finished if needed.
    would like to see the pictures.
    I keep going back and forth on it because its a pretty small spot on the front of the boat where I stand so still just unsure if its worth the extra effort or not.

Here are a few pics Luke. This is 24 oz Syntec I got from Ranger Boats. The color is Country Beige, didn't know if I would like that color but didn't want the dark carpet. Unfortunately Syntec is most available in 4 colors in 24 oz. The 16oz aggressor has more colors, so does the 20oz but the 24oz is the best. I initially was only going to do the front deck but did the back also. You won't believe the difference in comfort with the padding. When you put down the glue, put it on thin. Too thick, it will bleed through the padding & make it hard. Same with the carpet, just a thin layer. I got a pic of the carpet trim ( front & rear) also. Not the best picture taker so hope these are ok. The lighting is from the garage so that why there is a difference in color. The front deck is closest color overall. Not too light but not too dark.

IMG_0278.jpgIMG_0280.jpgIMG_0281.jpgIMG_0282.jpgIMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpgIMG_0286.jpg