MEGA Plus vs. Active Imaging side imaging

I get a lot of questions on which side imaging is better so I did a short tutorial comparing Humminbird MEGA Plus and Lowrance Active Imaging transducers.

Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

2. Banned
    Doc, which lowrance model was that and what software update are you running in it?

3. Member
    HDS Live, it should be the latest software, I am not close to boat now.
    Doctor Sonar®

4. Member
    cool! thanks for sharing.

now I am wondering if anyone would compare Garmin UHD and LW AI and MEGA+ side by side, that will be very interesting
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1

5. Banned
    Thanks Doc, great job!

Interesting but this sure shows a big difference in images produced. Assuming theses images were gathered at the same time on the same run I ask you to look at the comparison at .31. The bird images seem magnified. The rocks are bigger and fill more of the screen. The Lowrance image seems more distance and rocks smaller. Although the settings are similar in both units something is amiss here.
    I believe the bird image is not the same 100 feet scope as the Lowrance 100 feet scope. Why?
    I know there is a slight difference in depth but that surely can not account for the difference here.

7. Member
    I collected the data on the same pass, I do get crosstalk with the 1.2 kHz on Helix and 800 kHz on Live sometimes but it usually works well. I have noticed rocks appear bigger on the Helix often last year when using the Carbon with the 3D transducer at the same time.
    Doctor Sonar®

8. Member
    I have noticed this same "magnification" when comparing 3D to 3in1 or LSS-2.
    I'm assume it has to do with the imagine processing of each. The mega seems "zoomed in" and so does 3D to a lesser extent.
    Cody Greenwell
    GPS/SONAR/SIDE IMAGING
    Setup Advice & On-the-Water Training

9. Member
    Doc, you know I have a HUGE amount of respect for you and very grateful for opening my eyes to this wonderful world of sonar and mention you often in my FishTec Live show.

However, with this video I believe you missed the proverbial 'post' due to incorrect transducer setup.

10. Member
    Thanks for posting this Fishton and Doc Samson are icons in the world of fishing electronics appreciate their efforts for those of us that want to better understand their sonars.

I am still trying to grasp the magnification issue and have come to the thought that the images are like that of looking down on an open book. Images are farther away in the center and then quickly becoming closer as you move from center. Finally tapering off to the edges. This seems to be especially evident while using Lowrance 800. This might be why I like the 455 better?????
    I ask about this so I can understand my images better and get a feel for the bottom and structure. Thanks

12. Member
    Doc, it sure would be nice if you did a DVD on Garmin. Their is very little video on Garmin like their is on Lowrance and Humminbird. I learned so much from you Lowrance DVD, Thanks for all the work you have put in to Fishing electronics.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Thanks Bruce!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

14. Member
    Here is more about both of them:
    https://www.facebook.com/16070879761...type=3&theater

And in some water condition one shows little wider & vice versa

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
    Here is more about both of them:
    https://www.facebook.com/16070879761...type=3&theater

And in some water condition one shows little wider & vice versa
    Those are some pretty good comparisons...
    Bird seems "crisper" on the bottom on SI, but I was able to see further and fish easier on the Lowrance...
    Lowrance seemed like DS was better than Bird?
    Net, both seemed pretty good in that set of pics...I think I could be successful using either.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

16. Member
    Jaak, good job, pics shows that HB have different ping rate, objects are bigger and looks better sometimes.
    Despite of high khz, unfortunatley there's no big upgrade in structure maps with new transducers as sources.
    DI from Navico looks better, I supose that HB have composite DI in combo models, as before.

Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    Jaak, good job, pics shows that HB have different ping rate, objects are bigger and looks better sometimes.
    Despite of high khz, unfortunatley there's no big upgrade in structure maps with new transducers as sources.
    DI from Navico looks better, I supose that HB have composite DI in combo models, as before.

The Humminbird MEGA SI models (G2N and G3N) have dedicated Down Imaging with a Down Imaging piezo in the SI transducer.

Also Humminbird SI units have an adjustable screen scroll rate so the operator can chose the speed of the scrolling. The best speed is to match the Chart Speed to the GPS Speed---GPS speed 5 mph=Chart speed 5.
    The operator can chose to stretch the images or compress the images in relation to the GPS speed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Ive always wondered why there hasnt been an "AUTO" setting that attempts to adjust scroll speed based on GPS speed, regardless of brand or which particular type of sonar view.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Ive always wondered why there hasnt been an "AUTO" setting that attempts to adjust scroll speed based on GPS speed, regardless of brand or which particular type of sonar view.
    Garmin at least used to have that, not sure if they still do. The idea is good though.

20. Member
    They do. It works well.