Thread: Help again?

Help again?

Fishing tournament Saturday and put my 2001 Mercury 200 opti in reverse and then in forward and it would not shift. I mean the handle would move but no changing of gears etc.... I cut it off and tried to shift back but still nothing. Cranked it back up and it cranked ....still in reverse and was not shift. Hated to load the Ranger on trailer but I didn't think I could go far in reverse! I guess it's either the control box or the shift cable? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have to call ranger for some livewell parts but would they still carry these cables? Or control boxes? Thanks in advance!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Every Mercury engine dealer would have control boxes and cables. I assume you’ve had the engine shifting acceptably prior to this and have not changed anything on the engine since then? Haven’t had the lower unit off for any reason, so that the shift cable could be out of adjustment now? It also should not start in gear, so that’s a bad sign for something wrong in the control box. But again, you don’t need to go through Ranger for a control box...although they might have them.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thanks. No I haven't had any work or anything done to it or anything off. Yea. I knew the cranking in gear wasn't good but couldn't ever get it to come out of reverse. Even on trailer I tried to play around with it and still couldn't get it to go back to neutral or forward. I figured when I shifted it to back out something broke in the control box. I can't complain too much....she has been a good one!