Interesting result after tpi replacement

1b465109. Had an issue with occasional high idle so inspected throttle cable and found no issues. I replaced tpi, lever and cover and now all is well. The interesting part was I would occasionally get an extra beep in addition to the warning horn check at startup but zero faults were recorded in fault history or freeze frame but after tpi swap I ran all over the lake many times and never got the second beep. Could the tpi have been causing this beep on startup that was not recording any faults?

2. Member
    Possible if the fault was only active for a second.

3. Member
    Thanks Savage. That one was bugging me for some time.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could also be the "nuisance" calibration glitch from that time frame that occurred primarily on first startup of the day, when temps were below 60 degrees F.

If it returns this fall... that's quite possibly why (registers as a "neutral overspeed" with no throttle input, and a low battery voltage reading in the data).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don. I am overwhelmed and very appreciative of the amount of knowledge and experience freely handed out here. If it returns is there a remedy or even a need for a remedy?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it occurs as I described, with no other faults (other than Neutral Overspeed on the first COLD startup), I would leave it alone.

Anything outside of those parameters would be cause for concern, though (and others- don't arbitrarily apply this advise to any other engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor