Evinrude ETEC 225 HO Issue need help

I have a 2005 Evinrude Etec 225 HO. This weekend i was moving to another spot and engine bogged trying to get on plane. it shut down and i could get it started but it ran rough and shut down when i tried to put in gear. I trolled to ramp. hour later i get it started and it smoothed out and works fine all weekend. This is the 3rd time its happened. Seems like it happens once every three trips or so. Otherwise it runs fine. No hesitation or problems starting. Just once in awhile it bogs and runs rough and hard to start. Also notice that when it does that and i turn the key none of the service lights come on. When its running fine all the lights come on and then go off as normal. I'm going to take the boat in but was wondering what could be causing the problem.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Primer bulb tight when this happens? Sounds like a fuel issue, but could be several places. A good tech should be able to troubleshoot your fuel delivery, if that’s the culprit. On a 2005, I’d be concerned about the fuel lines and primer bulb, if they hadn’t been replaced recently with the ethanol-resistant stuff.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'm suspecting the ignition switch....when the service lights won't come on is the fuel gauge registering?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    When this occurs do you hear the lift pump run when the key is turned to on?

5. Member
    the motor still turns over even with the lights not coming on. Would that still be the igintion switch? The thing that is hard to understand is it only does it about once every three trips or so. other than that it works fine. I can't hear the lift pump run as i am deaf. Next time it does it ill get someone to listen for me.

If the gauge lights do not come on, do any other gauges power up? If not, it could be an intermittent keyswitch problem or a bad wire or connection in the purple wire circuit.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Member
    I had same issue with 250 HO, I just changed my spin on fuel filter