Starting Issue - 200 Optimax Pro Xs

My 2012 200 Optimax 200 Pro Xs, serial number 1B904196 / model number 1200P73EY, is having some starting issues. Im not sure where to start as it is very intermittent. I turn the key to on, it beeps, mercmonitor says everything is ok, then go to turn the key to start and only hear a click, this happens usually once or twice a trip out, I can keep doing that until starts. All other times it starts like normal. So I’m not sure where to start the diagnosis, could it be the key switch is bad, a relay going out between the switch and starter, or the starter itself. The boat/switch is almost 20 years old. It has done this since I bought it two years ago and seems to be getting more frequent. Any info or help is appreciated!

Thank you,
    DTS

2. Member
    All the things you mentioned could be the problem. I would check them all.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    All the things you mentioned could be the problem. I would check them all.
    How do I diagnose the the Key? And where would be a relay on the motor(that is where i hear the clicking)? I dont think its a fuse, otherwise it would quit working all together.

4. Member
    With a Digital Volt meter. Relay and solenoids are on the starboard side of the motor.
    Load test the start battery.
    Check all connections at the battery and starter solenoid.

5. Member
    With a Digital Volt meter. Relay and solenoids are on the starboard side of the motor.
    Load test the start battery.
    Check all connections at the battery and starter solenoid.
    Thanks Savage.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to checking for 12V+ power on the yellow w/red stripe wire (AT the starter solenoid, when turning to the START position), it would also be a good idea to load test your battery and confirm it's connections are correct (engine cables FIRST, remaining largest to smallest, Stainless Hex or Nylock Nut to secure it).

Guessing based on your "click" comment that there is likely a solenoid or ground problem. The ground wires and bolt connections on the electrical plate are areas of interest.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In addition to checking for 12V+ power on the yellow w/red stripe wire (AT the starter solenoid, when turning to the START position), it would also be a good idea to load test your battery and confirm it's connections are correct (engine cables FIRST, remaining largest to smallest, Stainless Hex or Nylock Nut to secure it).

Guessing based on your "click" comment that there is likely a solenoid or ground problem. The ground wires and bolt connections on the electrical plate are areas of interest.
    Don, thanks for the info! Would this or could this also cause the trim to not go down intermittently as well? When it doesn’t want to go down I can move the hydraulic plate up or down and then the motor will go down like normal. Weird I know, most of the time works like normal.

Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

Quote Originally Posted by DTS View Post
    Don, thanks for the info! Would this or could this also cause the trim to not go down intermittently as well? When it doesn’t want to go down I can move the hydraulic plate up or down and then the motor will go down like normal. Weird I know, most of the time works like normal.
    Note the red text
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    I pulled starter relay and connections apart and it seemed pretty corroded under the liquid electric tape. Cleaned it all and will give it a try Saturday. I did notice the black wire on the starter that goes from the starter solenoid to the starter itself is all rusted and im not sure that assembly can be taken apart? Maybe so?

10. Member
    Well, ran the boat in a tournament yesterday and didn’t have the starting issue. However, the gear on the starter got stuck and wouldn’t turn over, I pulled it down, motor started and issue did not come up again all day... the trim down condition is still existing though. Maybe the relays are on their way out? Where can I get replacement relays? Auto parts store?

11. Member
    Mercury Dealer.

12. Member
    Mercury Dealer.
    +1!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax