Easy way to check oil on 250 SHO?

I find it extremely difficult to check the oil on my 250 SHO. I have had inboard motors for the last 23 years, and I now have my first outboard. I checked the oil almost every time on the water with my inboards. For the last year, I’ve been wrestling the cover to get it off to check. It feels like it really is a legitimate 2 person job. It’s a heavy cover. I feel like I’m at risk for injuring my back every time I do it. I’m thinking about devising a hoist in my garage. Ugh...

I try try to get the trim level which lowers the cover quite a bit. How often do you folks check the oil? Is it too much every time? Luckily, I trailer my boat. I couldn’t imagine how those who keep there boat in a slip check the oil. I fly small planes so I’m used to checking the oil on every flight. It feels like the right thing to do for these expensive boats and motors.

How do do you assume the motor is level to check it? I wish there was a small level built in that I could use to verify levelness to check oil.

Any tricks, ideas, frequency?

Thanks,
    Ed

Trim motor all the way up. Unlatch cover. Get on the back deck of your boat & lift cover off. Pain in the butt but pretty easy that way.

3. Member
    ^^^^^ This....it works and saves your back and arms. (just pull it towards you from the rear while standing on the deck)

4. Member
    I stand behind the boat, put my hands in the upper holes of the cowling and lift it straight up. It rests against my chest, then I lean back a little to clear top of the motor. Take a step back and your clear.

On the water, trim up to tilt. Grab the upper holes and lift while stepping back.

Checking oil depends on how often the boats used. I'm out up to a couple times a week so I'll check once a month, sometimes longer. Usually the Thursday or Friday before a big weekend.
    Check more often during break in but oil doesnt just disappear.

The motor will alarm and go into limp mode if something critical is detected. I have a 6YC multi display that tells me the error and code.

Yamaha doesnt repair them so if it drops 7 quarts then let it blow. Gonna need a new powerhead anyways.

I trim mind tile it is level with a level on the cavitation plate. I do not take my cover all the way off, just unlatch and lift the side with the dip stick up and jam it were it want fall down. No need to take all the way off.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

6. Member
    I'm pretty tall at 6'2" so what works well for me is to trim the engine all the way down as far as possible. If you're not as tall trimming it all the way under may not help or even work for you. I unlatch the three latches and initially push up on the top rear of the cowling to break it free. Then I grab hold on the side in the air intakes and lift straight up (really kind of pivot it up and back since the engine is trimmed all the way down and sort of leaning toward me when I'm behind it). I then trim the engine all the way up and turn it side to side, let it sit for a minute to drain any oil into the sump. I then level the engine and remove the dip stick. The first time you take the dip stick out it will not show correct. I put it back in and remove it slowly and am able to get a good reading. I also am a general aviation pilot so I understand the OP's comment about it just seems natural to check the oil every time out!

7. Member
    Hi folks,

I didn’t consider checking the boat from the stern standing on the back. I’ll try that. I go out 1 or 2x a week so I really need to check it at least once a week. I’m 5’10’ and removing the cover while the motor is level from the ground is extremely difficult. I thought of trimming it all the way down, remove, and trim back up, but cold oil takes awhile to stabilize. I actually store my boat in my garage level so I can trust the reading. The issue is the circus act removal of the cover. I’ll try both approaches with a known level reading and see how long it takes to be reliable after trim and read.

I appreciate this this group of experienced boaters. Thanks for the suggestions. I was only going to buy a Yamaha motor a year ago, but I almost bought the 4 stroke Mercury for the sole reason of a simple oil check cutout in the cover. I decided that the hassle was worth it.

I fly SR22s for those interested. During the first year, I checked the oil like a hawk. Every time on the water. In the second year, we’ll after break-in, I’m reducing the checks to once a week or so. I was trying to get opinions from experts here. Thank you.

Thanks,
    Ed