Gouge down to fiber in hull - best repair?

2019 ZX250 with 8 hours on the clock. Was underneath waxing hull today and noticed a quarter sized gouge down to the fibers just behind keel guard. The whole thing has me a bit skeptical - keel guard has zero scratches and hull behind gouge is scratch free as well. In my opinion the boat had to be going directly backwards; is there a chance this could have been delivered from factory like this? Shame on me for not crawling under complete boat to inspect upon delivery. I do not think I hit anything but who knows.

Keel guard also has a lot of extra glue around the edges and some splattered on hull 5" from guard - makes me wonder what else may be going on under the guard. Am I just being paranoid?

Alot of searches here turn up Marine Tex - can I do this myself or would you recommend the dealer based on how deep it is?

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marine Tex will do the job... if your not a super picky guy

3. Member
    Marine Tex but I don’t know how to get it to match black
    Nitro z21

4. Banned
    Considering where its located on the hull, marine tex it. I think they make black and white, if not they make color pigments you can add to gel coat https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gelc...SABEgImqvD_BwE Marine tex it tougher than the gel coat repair stuff. If you cover the wet marine tex with some sort of clear plastic like the stuff that backs EZ fuse tape, it will have a wet shiny finish just like your gel coat when it dries.

5. Member
    Check the front trailer roller assembly on the winch stand. It might be improperly assembled. If it has the black rubber roller I think the yellow roller and side guards might be better.

6. Member
    Yes it looks like you may have hit the roller close to the winch. If Iam looking at the picture right. Sorry about you new boat. That would be a sick feeling.

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies - I don’t think it was the winch roller as it is on the rear end of the Hamby (between it and motor). Would have almost had to jump boat into bed of truck for that to happen.

8. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Make sure the trailer is setup correct. It could be hitting as it comes off the roller. Does it come off the roller smooth or does the nose of boat drop when it comes off?
    Has the keel guard got any damage? I would take it back to the dealer they may fix it for you.

9. Member
    It looks like some slight damage on the keel guard right at the end,by the gouge. I’d say you sat it down on a rock or something hard. Maybe a boat wake bounced it once onto a rock.Thats not a hard place to repair just make sure it is dry before you start.

10. Member
    Being its a 2019 the factory can probably send you a repair kit or some of the correct gel coat used for that boat.

11. Member
    this stuff is great and you can match colors, looks like straight black so that's easy: http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...CABEgL6oPD_BwE

use painters tape to tape off around the gouge. Follow instructions on the kit, apply it, heat with hair dryer for 15-20 minutes, let harden. Once hard wet sand it 600 grit paper first, than 1000 grit. Polish and wax and it no one will ever notice it was there

I would agree that the keel guard does appear to have a little damage too.

Hard to say how it happened. Could have even happened while being trailered.

If it were me, I would do the repair myself and contact the dealer / manufacturer for the correct color gel coat. Fill that in with resin, mix the gel with some hardener and go to town. It's not hard, and who cares if it's not perfect based on location. It does truly suck with it being brand new, but it does build character....and it gives you the opportunity to pour some blood, sweat and tears into her. Build a stronger bond.

Or you can just have it professionally repaired if it bothers you that much...nothing a little time and money can't fix .

Keep us updated on the outcome.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

13. Banned
    Another option would be filling it in with 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant, they make it in black. This stuff does not come off!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Another option would be filling it in with 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant, they make it in black. This stuff does not come off!
    Was thinking the same due to the size of the spot.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

15. Member
    Irrespective of what material you use to do the repair, I would make sure that it was good and dry as it is down to the glass. Im not an expert, but maybe let it sit for a few days before repairing
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Banned
    Yes true, that exposed glass will absorb water

Ouch, sorry to hear that about your new boat brother.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

I hit a ledge with my second boat that left a 2" long scar on the flat just ahead of the pad. I used MarineTex and smoothed it out with a piece of wax paper and my finger. It made an easy repair!

(606)305-1956