Bow Mount helix shutting down when motor starts

When I put my new Helix 7 3rd Gen on my bow , I used the same power source that the previous owner used. Everything worked fine for a while, but now every time I start my big motor, that unit shuts down. I can’t simply hit the power button I have to actually unplug it from the back and plug it back in for it to fire up. I’m guessing it’s some kind of power draw that makes it shut down, but why would I have to unplug it from the back to turn it back on? I’m going to go ahead and pull power off with my Ultrex wiring, I have an in-line fuse so that should be fine. I realize it should be pulling off the trolling batteries anyway. I’m just curious why it worked for a while and now this starts happening. Maybe my cranking battery is getting bad?

Helix units are extremely sensitive to voltage......you will probably need to run a dedicated power wire from the battery to that graph.

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

3. Banned
    This^^^^^^

4. Member
    Thank you for the replies. I’m guessing it’s normal to have to unplug and replug in the unit? I wonder why the power button will not work? In any case, I’m thinking since I ran very heavy wire up to the Ultrex (6-8 gauge) I should be able to tie off of that with a short a direct line with a in line fuse from my helix? As long as I use a in-line fuse do you think that will be OK? The wire I would tie into is a direct line from my trolling motor batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I’m guessing it’s normal to have to unplug and replug in the unit? I wonder why the power button will not work? In any case, I’m thinking since I ran very heavy wire up to the Ultrex (6-8 gauge) I should be able to tie off of that with a short a direct line with a in line fuse from my helix? As long as I use a in-line fuse do you think that will be OK? The wire I would tie into is a direct line from my trolling motor batteries.
    NO!!!!!...... trolling motor batteries are for the trolling motor only! Also that will be 24v, not 12v.

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

6. Banned
    I would just run a dedicated 8 gauge wire from the cranking battery. Fuse it at the battery and put in a fused distribution block at the bow. That will be good enough if you ever add a second unit or other accessories up there.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhines View Post
    NO!!!!!...... trolling motor batteries are for the trolling motor only! Also that will be 24v, not 12v.

This.

Never wire graphs to the same circuit as your TM. A dedicated line from the cranking battery is your best bet.