Thread: Line Help

Line Help

Coming into this year I ordered all new rods and reels. I’ve been raising kids the past 19 years so tournament bass fishing had taken a backseat. A lot has changed since 2000 in the sport and line was just another hurdle. I settled on Sunline Sniper in 10, 14 and 16lb. I have been 6 times only to be frustrated. If I’m not losing tackle I’m losing fish because of line breakage. Lost 3 good fish yesterday during a tournament. I’m fishing the Alabama River which is mainly wood for structure. Is there any other line I should try or did I get a bad batch?

2. Member
    My guess it might be ur knot. Try breaking it after you tie up. I use invezx and I cant break 10 pound test w my hands I use a palmoer knot

3. Member
    No breaks at the knot. The couple of lures I could get back had about 10 feet of line attached. I tie the San Diego Jam Knot.

4. Member
    Do you get backlashes? Or allow loose line on your reels? Backlashes are the kiss of death for many fluorocarbons...some are brittle, and loose line turning in the spool and backlashes will weaken them. Sniper is decent line...and you shouldn't be breaking it "mid spool".

This happens to my dad a fair amount, but he backlashes now and then, and he also won't clear out a loose loop in the spool when one develops.

Man I have been using Sunline Sniper for years and have never had a problem loosing fish because of a line break.
    some of the stuff is tougher than it should be in my opinion.
    my spinning reels I use the Sniper 7lb for a leader and that stuff is hard to break for just 7lb line.

I would look close at your knots and make sure your not getting nicks from rocks or something like that. Nicks in line wont keep the best from breaking

If you set the hook hard, imo, for texas rigs/soft plastics anything under 16lb in Sniper for moderate to heavy cover is not enough. I fish rivers and found out the hard way as well. I use 16lb sniper for weightless senko fishing and 20lb for anything else texas rigged soft plastics on casting equipment. Line diameter is what you need to look at vs lb test. The Japanese flurocarbon fishes very light compared to the older copoly from 15-20 yrs ago that was more popular (P-line cxx for example) 20lb. sniper measures at .0146 diameter. Pline CXX 12lb measures at 0.148. That's a HUGE swing by 8lbs. Once you get out of the "lb test" mindset you'll become more confident in the newer lines.
    Nothing wrong with sniper. I have used it for years. Buying larger spools when on sale makes it good for the money if you have a lot of rods/reels. If you want to spoil yourself Tatsu is the shit. As with most things like that it's expensive. Congrats on being able to get back into fishing. Like you, I went through the learning curve about 5 years ago after having to backseat fishing for almost 15yrs with racing. It's a roller coaster of a ride!
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

7. Member
    Thanks for the information guys. The reels I had to get dialed in so there was some backlashes. That is probably the issue. White gambler I appreciate the explanation of line diameter. When you fish rivers the current is unforgiving and being constantly in wood really wears on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide16 View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. The reels I had to get dialed in so there was some backlashes. That is probably the issue. White gambler I appreciate the explanation of line diameter. When you fish rivers the current is unforgiving and being constantly in wood really wears on the line.
    No problem. I know what you mean, that is what I fish 99% of the time.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    If you set the hook hard, imo, for texas rigs/soft plastics anything under 16lb in Sniper for moderate to heavy cover is not enough. I fish rivers and found out the hard way as well. I use 16lb sniper for weightless senko fishing and 20lb for anything else texas rigged soft plastics on casting equipment. Line diameter is what you need to look at vs lb test. The Japanese flurocarbon fishes very light compared to the older copoly from 15-20 yrs ago that was more popular (P-line cxx for example) 20lb. sniper measures at .0146 diameter. Pline CXX 12lb measures at 0.148. That's a HUGE swing by 8lbs. Once you get out of the "lb test" mindset you'll become more confident in the newer lines.
    Nothing wrong with sniper. I have used it for years. Buying larger spools when on sale makes it good for the money if you have a lot of rods/reels. If you want to spoil yourself Tatsu is the shit. As with most things like that it's expensive. Congrats on being able to get back into fishing. Like you, I went through the learning curve about 5 years ago after having to backseat fishing for almost 15yrs with racing. It's a roller coaster of a ride!
    Nailed it. Great post.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34