How to mount the carpeted inner fender board

Ok, I am completely going thru my trailer and painting replacing….and on and on…. Before I took everything apart, the carpeted part that goes between the fender and the boat (flat carpeted part that screws to the fender) was already rotted and gone. So I am making a new part to replace it BUT as I am cutting and forming it to screw to the fender, I am not sure if the board is supposed to go on the boat side of the two pieces of metal welded to the frame behind each tire or does it go on the tire side of it. It seems like it would rest on the boat side of it to keep the board from flopping into the tires going down the road, but when it is in that position it seems a little difficult to get a good fit and be able to screw the piece to the back side of the fender all the way tight until the fender meets the frame at both ends. I hope to post a pic. Im sure this is clear as mud, but for those who have done this you probably know what I am referring to. Thanks

BTW mine is a tandem axle 1996 trailer that came with my fishunter
    Hans Deters

1996 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

2. Banned
    Mine is to the boat side of the tabs. Yes I know what you’re referring too, because I had the same situation when I re-did my buddies 1995 Champ 190 fender carpet covers. To the outside keeps it from rubbing the tires.

3. Member
    Thank you brother!!! How tight do you get it screwed down to the fender at each end???? Is it a tight fit all the way around or are there gaps at each end of the fender ?
    Hans Deters

1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

4. Banned
    Mine were tight, but I made new boards and cut them just a tad longer than the factory set. His were so rotten that they just fell apart. I had to find new meat on the fenders due to the same rust situation that you’re dealing with. I used lots of screws...

5. Member
    Thanks!!! I am going to use starboard and glue the carpet to it. Wont ever rot again. I owe you a beer!!
    Hans Deters

1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

6. Banned

I want 1 too

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I used the Star Board and skipped the carpet I used 10x24 SS machine screws to attach to the fenders.

10. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I used the Star Board and skipped the carpet I used 10x24 SS machine screws to attach to the fenders.
    I did the same after reading one of your previous post. Havent looked back
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.