Thread: bow lift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bow lift

Everyone,

Do your Nitros prefer bow or stern lift? I have a 2016 Z21 with a mercury 250. I also have 2 power poles on it. I am running a fury 25P 3 blade. I do not think i am getting the lift i need. In calm water, my boat will only run about 62ish. I can feel that the boat is running rather flat. I had someone ride next to me today and he said i was hardly on pad. The water was hitting almost at the consoles or before. In rough water, i can run about 68/69 and i can feel a significant different in bow height. The rougher water is allowing the front of the boat to get out of the water more to get better speed. Does or did anyone else have this issue with their nitro? If so, which prop did you switch to? I know some props will give more bow lift and some more stern. Which does the nitro prefer? I know i should be running somewhere around 72mph and ive never seen that or close to it really.

Thanks

I did not have a 2016. Heard they respond well to a Bravo XS. A Tempest in 25p May be the right prop.

I also feel like your pitched too high with the 25, if its on a gen 2 gear case. Assuming it is.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    I run a 25 pitch Tempest. It raises the bow dramatically better. I run 68-69 all the time with full fishing gear and partner. I had the same problem with the Fury prop.
    2020 Nitro Z21
    300 Pro XS 4S

4. Member
    Yes this is the 2nd gen unit. And I have a 25p trophy 4 blade that I may try as well. I will have to get a 25P tempest to give that a shot too. Seems like a lot of people are running the tempest. That 25p fury just doesn’t seem to give me the lift. It feels very flat and is pushing water when the waters calm. Just not getting up on pad like it should.

Well 2 me that changes on >2016 models. 2017+ models seem to get good bow lift with a Fury. so make sure when your getting advice to keep that in mind.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Please report back your findings. I am having a similar issue. I have a 24p Fury 3 and a 4 blade and get about 66-67 out of both at 5600-5700 rpm. I can get more rpm's out of them when I raise the jack plate but it shaves off speed. Both have a sweet spot that is a little different. I dont have jp gauge so I dont know an exact number other than the ruler on the jp. I definitely think I need more lift.

7. Member
    On my 16 25 a45 tempest is the fastest then a fury 4 25 pitch I have ran over 30 props on mine also adding washers can get you another 1-3 mph

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisfarmer View Post
    On my 16 25 a45 tempest is the fastest then a fury 4 25 pitch I have ran over 30 props on mine also adding washers can get you another 1-3 mph
    Adding additional thrust washers???

9. Member
    Washers under striker plates

U mean trim extenders? Washers are cheap trim extenders. The striker plates are basically screws that the trim rods push on.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse212 View Post
    Everyone,

Do your Nitros prefer bow or stern lift? I have a 2016 Z21 with a mercury 250. I also have 2 power poles on it. I am running a fury 25P 3 blade. I do not think i am getting the lift i need. In calm water, my boat will only run about 62ish. I can feel that the boat is running rather flat. I had someone ride next to me today and he said i was hardly on pad. The water was hitting almost at the consoles or before. In rough water, i can run about 68/69 and i can feel a significant different in bow height. The rougher water is allowing the front of the boat to get out of the water more to get better speed. Does or did anyone else have this issue with their nitro? If so, which prop did you switch to? I know some props will give more bow lift and some more stern. Which does the nitro prefer? I know i should be running somewhere around 72mph and ive never seen that or close to it really.

Thanks
    Please post your results!! I am having the same problem with my 2013 Z9 running a 25P Fury 3. When buddies are next to me they say the boat doesn't look like it's getting any lift. Good Luck!!

GHawk, My 2011 & 2014 Z9 ran way better with a 25p Tempest. And got good lift.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Drop down to a 24p and possibly go with a Tempest as they have larger ears and will get more lift. If you can turn 200-300 more rpm and stay inside the recommended WOT you should improve both lift and speed.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

14. Member
    Guys that are running the tempest what is your pvs setup?
    Nitro z21

15. Member
    I have also ran a 24P Fury 3 with no better results other than a bit better holeshot and higher RPM's. Trying to decide if I should get a 25P Tempest or Fury 4???

16. Member
    I have a 2016 Z21. Same set up as yours. Had a 25 Tempest. Only hit 5500 on the tach. Bought a 24 Fury 3 blade. Lost speed, no lift but RPM did go up. Next I’m trying a 24 Tempest.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Guys that are running the tempest what is your pvs setup?
    I can run the 24 Fury on my 16 Z21 with no pvs plugs. Good hole shot and bow lift, did have to raise the plate to achieve this.
    I put a 25 Tempest on with one partial (smaller hole) pvs plug (as it was on my Ranger) and it would blow out before I could get on plane. Added a full pvs plug to one of the open ports and it jumps up and has better bow lift.
    Bravo 1 24 with 2 full plugs, 2 open ports and it brings bow and stern up

18. Member
    I’m still at a loss here. I’ve ran a 25p fury 3 blade. That gets me the best lift. But I can only pull about 5400-5500 rpms. I am running 66-68mph at 5500 rpms with this though. If I raise the jack plate I can get 5900 but lose speed. I tried a 25p 4 blade trophy. I got about 5700-5800 rpms but only seeing 63mph because I’m not getting the lift. I tried a 25p tempest and I’m not getting the lift with that either. Still only seeing 65-66 mph with about 5600rpms. My thoughts are to either go with a 24p fury 3 blade. Or go with a fury 4 blade or bravo 1xs. I don’t know anyone with the bravo or fury 4 to try and I hate to throw money at props that I don’t know will even help. I’m leaning toward the bravo 1 xs but have no idea what pitch to go with.. which makes me not want to buy anything until I figure out what pitch I need. If the fury 25p is only turning 5400-5500 I feel like I need to go to a 24p but the bravo stuff says I should go up?

19. Member
    I had same results with the 25 Tempest. 5500 RPM and 68MPH with decent lift. Went to the 24 Fury three blade and lost lift. It does like to run deeper than the Tempest. I have a hydraulic plate so testing different heights is simple. The Fury likes to be about 1" deeper than the Tempest. RPM went up with the Fury, but I lost a couple MPH. Best I get out of the Fury is 66MPH at 5600RPM. I can go higher with the plate and gain RPM with the Fury, but I lose speed. I am also unsure what to try next. I do have access to a 24 Tempest that I will try next. If that isn't better, I will probably go back to the 25 Tempest or I might try a Bravo.

20. Member
    A fury 4 will be ur best all around prop imo I have ran over 30 props on my 16 z21 26 bravo xs also ran well as does 25 tempest depending on load

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast