Vehicle Insurance Claim - Co angler hits trailer

Co angler was backing my rig out and struck a high pontoon trailer with my truck bumper and quarter panel. He has offered to do whatever is necessary for the repair. Would you turn it in to insurance $500 deductible or he suggests get an estimate and he will pay it.

How would you handle it?
    The trailer bunk he struck had no damage.

I avoid claims at all cost. grab a couple estimates or have him turn it in on his insurance..they will cover it since he was driving.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    have him turn it in on his insurance..they will cover it since he was driving.
    No. plus you have the liability claim on the trailer he hit.

4. Member
    I would get a couple of estimates. Then see if the coangler still wants to pay for it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    I would get a couple of estimates. Then see if the coangler still wants to pay for it.
    It's a risk we all take.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    If you turn the claim in to your insurance they will cover the damage less the $500 ded which you will get back as soon as it is recovered by your insurance company from the at fault party. This is not a chargeable incident. It is called subrogation
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

If its not too bad cash may be able to cover it.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    No. plus you have the liability claim on the trailer he hit.
    one of my employees backed my rig into a vehicle off company time when I let him borrow it to move. His insurance covered it in full. I wasn't out a dime. It may vary state to state.

9. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    If you turn the claim in to your insurance they will cover the damage less the $500 ded which you will get back as soon as it is recovered by your insurance company from the at fault party. This is not a chargeable incident. It is called subrogation
    Which the deductible would still be responsible for by the OP unless the money is subrogated by the at fault party if indeed he has a personal auto policy. If not the OP may not be able to recover the deductible
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Chit happens. I fished as a co-angler and have backed in many rigs. Luckily I never damaged anyone's vehicle or trailer. If I was that co-angler, I would pay for the damage out of pocket with a valid reasonable estimate.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Sounds like a stand up guy. He made an honest mistake and wants to make it right.

12. Member
    Great guy and I appreciate his honesty. I am looking for the option to be the best for both of us. I just want to get my truck fixed right and want him to be out the least amount of coin possible possible

When I first started fishing BFL as a co-angler, this same deal happened to my designated boater. On tournament morning his co-angler hit another trailer Nd bashed in the front fender on his new truck. The guy said he would at least pay the insurance deductible, if not the whole claim...yada, yada, yada...my buddy never saw a dime from the guy.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    When I first started fishing BFL as a co-angler, this same deal happened to my designated boater. On tournament morning his co-angler hit another trailer Nd bashed in the front fender on his new truck. The guy said he would at least pay the insurance deductible, if not the whole claim...yada, yada, yada...my buddy never saw a dime from the guy.
    -
    Sounds about right. Shortly after the accident, folks are all remorseful and offer to pay everything. Given a little time, they decide to disappear.
    -
    To the OP; keep in mind, estimates don’t include supplements (hidden damage, part price increases, etc, etc) and rental car while the vehicle is in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Great guy and I appreciate his honesty. I am looking for the option to be the best for both of us. I just want to get my truck fixed right and want him to be out the least amount of coin possible possible

Only way to be right there. I bet it all works out just fine.

16. Member
    This situation is a little different as we are in a pretty close knit club together. Not like someone running away at a BFL or Open

17. Member
    If you know for sure he will pay for it that's the way I would & go get all his information.