Banned

1998 bass cat Jag project.

Well I'm at it again kind of.
    When I first saw this boat it already had a great start. It's been garaged it's whole life. Someone put some time into it. But those of you that know me know it's never enough. The digital dash still works and I have to say I'm very impressed with it for something being made 21 years ago.

So I bought it a few weeks ago. Been trying to get the right prop for the lakes I fish at 6k feet. That's solved now with a bravo 1 XS prop.

Next up was a deck extension. I made it out of plywood with fiberglass overlay then I carpeted it with bass cat carpet. Turned out really well. Gained some storage also. The step lifts up and there's also a compartment in front of the console now.

I'm now working on the side rails. I hate the metal stock rails. I bought some plexiglass rods and welded up brackets for them to fit in. I'll be adding red LED's that will light the tubes. Just making it more modern pretty much.

Next up is the transome. It has some small stress cracks in the splash well. Nothing over the eges just some small cracks in the bottom of the we'll. So I ground them out and I'm repairing them. When I'm done I'll gel the area and buff the whole boat. There's no more cracks anywhere so I'm good with a small fix.

Then, I'll be welding a pole to the front of the trailer and adding steps to get out of the boat from the front. Not a big task but again, this is me setting the boat up the way I want it.

In the future I can see myself buying a new Merc 250. For now I'll finish the tasks I have going on and worry about a repower later on. We have about two weeks of bad weather and after I just want to fish. So the rush is on to get everything completed before then.

It really blows me away how modern the boat still looks. If it had a newer style console it would really finish it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Here's the mounts I'm making for the lighted rods. Hope to get them primed today. The testing of the LED lights also.

Nice work!

4. Banned
    Primed!! I think these light bars are going to turn out nice.

5. Banned
    Id like to build a console on this one like I built on my last one. For those of you that didnt see it this is what it looks like. Maybe a winter project?

6. Member
    Pretty nice work on both. What cat was the new dash built on, really like that.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

7. Banned
    Got the LED lights installed. Gotta sand the brackets and paint em. Then install should be pretty easy. I also got the pole welded to the trailer along with a step. Waiting for a couple parts to finish it up.

Sorry for the hijack, but I can’t see the pics on my iPhone and I’d really like to. What am I doing wrong? Somebody help this Basscat junkie out.

9. Banned
    Well got the rails done. I went with white, I dunno if I like the color. But oh well it is what it is.

10. Banned
    I had a helper today. Got the new tail lights in. I also finished the step with pole up front. It needs to be painted but other than that it's the step is done. I'm going to use POR 15 on it. I'll get a pic when it's done.

Ups tracking showed the gel coat would be here yesterday but I guess he didn't make it.

I’d love to see a picture of the pole that you did for the trailer.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by champ188 View Post
    I’d love to see a picture of the pole that you did for the trailer.
    Its coming soon. Im bouncing around working on things as paint and gel dry.

13. Member
    Really enjoy your restoration projects! Thanks for sharing your talents with us.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

14. Member
    You da bomb! That console you built looks Star Wars. I had some older Bass Cats, the digital consoles still worked well, but I had some boat wiring to straighten out first. Some day I will get back into a Bass Cat, I have wrecked my Stratos too many times, but it's a tough bird.
    I was thinking if you just rounded the front fairing off on the console, and put up a matching smoke visor/shield, but that's way too modest for your work.

15. Banned
    Thanks guys, this is kind of a lame thread because Im not doing much right now. Im doing a couple things while the weather is bad but next week I have to have everything wrapped up until winter. I do have some console ideas though. Them fish are calling gotta get it back on the water. When it snows again Ill start the work up again. I hope to have the pole on the trailer finished and the splash well done by the weekend.

16. Banned
    Step is done. I'll have to shoot a video of it in use. It works awesome. This boat is the hardest to load by myself. Now it will be a cake walk.

Awesome work, as always!
    Really like the way the angled storage/step lid turned out.

18. Member
    Love the lighted handrails, looks really cool.