Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    Going to most likely pick up a John Deere 920m. All the hard core guys here swear by them. A bit more than I want to spend but will be the last mower I ever need no matter how much I mow.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiemac View Post
    I got a 60" Toro commercial ZTR with a Kawasaki motor and I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I'm coming off a green ztr and I would have given it away after the first couple years. POS!!
    +1 Bought my 48" Toro Commercial in 2008... "Zero turn" ...... 11 yrs later.... "Zero" problems ......Paid $7k....

3. Member
    Exmark Radius. Plenty of tough especially in a non commercial setting, and between 7-8. Zero turn will outmow tractor 2-1 minimum for time. How much area you doin?
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

My dad bought a Kubota last year and really likes it. I picked up a Scag Patriot this spring. It's over kill for my use but it's been awesome, especially since we've been getting a ton of rain this spring. I have friends with Gravely's and Exmarks both great mowers. All are commercial grade and no on has any complaints on any of these brands. The only thing I've noticed where a tractor style is better is when mowing a ditch that is a little wet. The back end wants to slide down and they get stuck easier. But in a normal spring I wouldn't of noticed as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    I have a Scag Tiger Cat 2 with Kawasaki engine and like it but if I was buying again I’d look at a Wright instead.
    I like the looks of their offerings, especially the stander, but I don't have a servicing dear close, closest dealer to me carries Hustler and have considered something from them, but I have taken them some hand tools, they are a "certified Sthil service center" both times I had to fix the stuff myself when I needed it, my best all around service/parts and making a deal on multiple pieces of equipment is an exmark dealer, here i'd say Exmark are king of the hill, but they all build good stuff, remember the engines/pumps/wheel motors are purchased parts, scag/walker/exmark/hustler/gracely/Kubota all just build the frame

cheaper mower usually means cheaper pumps and wheel motors and slightly "lighter" materials in frames
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    my choice also, but be forewarned they are a different animal on steep hills, especially when wet
    ok... if you are new to Zero Turn mowers. Take notes, and read up.

** wear the dang seat belt - keep the roll bar up whenever possible - know that formerly harmless, low hanging limbs can kill you now, and never, ever, ever mow near the edge of a pond. That's what walk-behinds and trimmers are for. It happens every year, somebody mows near a pond or body of water, the ground gives way (mowers are heavy), and the mower rolls over and they suffocate under the mower, under water, in 2 feet of mud, because even if a team of men were standing there when it happened, they couldn't pull you out in time.

Wet hills are about technique and knowing when to not do it. If you are in good shape, you may consider a walk-behind with a trolley (you stand on the trolley and it pulls you around). That way, when you hit the hills, you just walk behind and knock it out.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    ok... if you are new to Zero Turn mowers. Take notes, and read up.

** wear the dang seat belt - keep the roll bar up whenever possible - know that formerly harmless, low hanging limbs can kill you now, and never, ever, ever mow near the edge of a pond. That's what walk-behinds and trimmers are for. It happens every year, somebody mows near a pond or body of water, the ground gives way (mowers are heavy), and the mower rolls over and they suffocate under the mower, under water, in 2 feet of mud, because even if a team of men were standing there when it happened, they couldn't pull you out in time.

Wet hills are about technique and knowing when to not do it. If you are in good shape, you may consider a walk-behind with a trolley (you stand on the trolley and it pulls you around). That way, when you hit the hills, you just walk behind and knock it out.
    ha ha ha, they definitely have an attraction to H2o, and when you mentioned limbs, remember to watch around utility pole and guy wires and a WB with or w/o a sulky is best IMO if you got hills
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

8. Member
    Toro z master with Kawasaki. When I bought mine 4 years ago, it was the best warranty. Knock on wood I have little bit of time left on the warranty and haven't had to do anything outside of normal maintenance to it.

9. Member
    I have a Gravely 60’ commercial with a Kawasaki. Has been great for the past few years!

after having them all I now have a kubota 7 series with kawasaki as my last mower. Grasshopper is my second choice. check them out in person and you'll see why. Things like actual parker hydraulics instead of "parker style" hydraulics and the real deal kawasaki commercial engines instead of light commercial. look for the big donaldson air filter.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

11. Member
    I just bought a used (62 hrs) X-mark Radius - X-series w/ a 48" ultracut deck and a Kawasaki engine. (replaces my JD LX 255 w/ a 42" deck) Used it Saturday for the first time to cut two of my four yards. I shaved an hour off of EACH yard. (first time using a zero turn) The X-mark laid down a beautiful cut the FIRST time with the blades that came on the mower. (they need replacing) I would usually have to go back over most if not all of the yards at least twice to get a "decent" cut with the JD.

I used to cut grass professionally for about 10 years as a foreman for two different company's and then on my own for two years. Ran front mount JD's, belly mount JD tractors, Toro and X-mark belt drive walk behinds. (didn't have zero turns back then) Bought a Skag hydrostatic drive 52" WB (cut about 25 yards) when I went out on my own. (best wb mower on a steep bank - bar none, have regretted selling that one)

Hands down I would pick a zero turn over a belly mount tractor for flatter ground. If you have a lot of steeper grades to cut and/or you need to use different implements then you need a belly mount tractor (preferably 4-wheel drive to help on the steeper grades) or a good walk behind mower. Just my .02 worth.

BamaBasser 294

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Going to most likely pick up a John Deere 920m. All the hard core guys here swear by them. A bit more than I want to spend but will be the last mower I ever need no matter how much I mow.
    Good choice, My wifes mower is the same model. She can break equipment better than a teenage boy, but the JD so far has been unbreakable and leaves an absolutely beautiful mowing job behind it. I think you'll like it
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

13. Banned
    Ferris. Your back will thank you.

14. Member
    i have a grasshopper and a bobcat. use bobcat to move the boat but like the grasshopper better for mowing. bobcat is a kaw engine and grasshopper is a kubota diesel.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    I haven't rode on other zero turn mowers but my ferris was the first one and I bought it due to the comfort of the ride.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    So we ran exmark with kawi motors for over 15 years. We finally switched to ferris. The newer kawi motor IMHO suck. The valves always need to be adjusted due to newer emission standards, plus a few other issues. Plus a newer exmark is like 16 k where as other brands can be found found alot less.
    The new ferris mowers we bought have briggs motors with their new oil guard system which is pretty sweet.
    I agree on Ferris. Don’t break, mow fast, and have shock absorbers. Your back will feel better at the end of the day. Ever wonder why they let air out of the tires on the other brands. My Ferris is still running strong at 15 years.

17. Member
    Out of curiosity do you already have the business lined up ?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    While I love John Deere myself I could never pay that much more money with all of the other quality mowers out there. I paid 4 grand less for my commercial bad boy mower with a bigger deck and more HP (kawa motor). It has performed flawlessly for 5 years mowing 5 acres every week.

19. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Out of curiosity do you already have the business lined up ?
    about $400 a week of work so far......

20. Member
    I like the zero turns, but I cannot find one to attach a tiller and other implements to.
    Praying for a Cure

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast