high speed or low speed

Which is better when trying to restore gel coat. Has been wet sanded with 600 grit and 1000grit.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCat'99 View Post
    Which is better when trying to restore gel coat. Has been wet sanded with 600 grit and 1000grit.
    I like to use a lot of heat, so high speed. The first boat I buffed looked great for a little while then it dulled back. I didn't get enough heat into the gel. I've done cars for years and always worried about burning thought but gel is thicker and there's less to worry about.

As far as wet sanding goes, you can but most of the time you can make the compound work with a wool pad.

3m also makes some compound for gel that works really well.

I keep saying this over and over....what grit to start with has to do with how bad the oxidation is, color and even sometimes age of the boat. Pics are needed in most cases to give good usable info. IMO the above info from g352nv should not be followed. In most cases on gel heat is not your friend. Burning through is not as much of an issue as just burning the gel with results in a slight color change that comes from “heat”. On a higher speed this happens on the ends of the back and forth stroke with the machine. Also on most boats some sanding is required to “totally” remove oxidation.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I keep saying this over and over....what grit to start with has to do with how bad the oxidation is, color and even sometimes age of the boat. Pics are needed in most cases to give good usable info. IMO the above info from g352nv should not be followed. In most cases on gel heat is not your friend. Burning through is not as much of an issue as just burning the gel with results in a slight color change that comes from “heat”. On a higher speed this happens on the ends of the back and forth stroke with the machine. Also on most boats some sanding is required to “totally” remove oxidation.
    Crank Im not talking 3k rpm or anything. Im talkig 2k as apposed to 1k RPM. I guess different people have different results. The last boat I did it looked like crap no shine at all and the it felt like you could feel the flake. It looked amazing when done, like new. Ill see if I can find my old bass cat thread on here.

Wet sanding will make the compounding easier but, you have to cut and buff and Ive done enough of that on cars to last a lifetime lol. If I can get away with just compound and polish Im in. When you say "on the ends of the back and forth. Simply dont apply that much pressure on the ends.
    Last edited by g352nv; 05-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.

5. Banned
    And another thing, a Dewalt buffer is going to work way different than a Harbor freight buffer. 2k on a HF buffer is like 1500 on a Dewalt. As soon as you put the wool to the gel and apply pressure its way different.

6. Member
    What rpm range then would ya'll recommend? And is 1000 grit fine enough or do I need to go higher? I see no sanding marks with a little polishing but not the high gloss I've seen on both of ya'll work.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Crank Im not talking 3k rpm or anything. Im talkig 2k as apposed to 1k RPM. I guess different people have different results. The last boat I did it looked like crap no shine at all and the it felt like you could feel the flake. It looked amazing when done, like new. Ill see if I can find my old bass cat thread on here.

Wet sanding will make the compounding easier but, you have to cut and buff and Ive done enough of that on cars to last a lifetime lol. If I can get away with just compound and polish Im in. When you say "on the ends of the back and forth. Simply dont apply that much pressure on the ends.
    I do 75 to 100 boats a year and what your saying I just don’t agree with for results I get paid to produce however if it works for you it works. I seldom buff at 2000 RPM...also I understand how to ease up on the ends of the back and forth strokes. If I’m getting paid to get rid of oxidation and for it not to come back for a good while sandpaper is necessary. Very seldom can you just buff away oxidation and it last. I have dealerships that sell boats I refurbish upholstery as well as gel and it’s sold with some warranty on my work. It’s gotta be right.
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by BassCat'99 View Post
    What rpm range then would ya'll recommend? And is 1000 grit fine enough or do I need to go higher? I see no sanding marks with a little polishing but not the high gloss I've seen on both of ya'll work.
    Again...I keep repeating “without at least some pics it’s almost impossible to give good usable info” Age, condition, color, etc all come into play when trying to answer your question.
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    I do 75 to 100 boats a year and what your saying I just don’t agree with for results I get paid to produce however if it works for you it works. I seldom buff at 2000 RPM...also I understand how to ease up on the ends of the back and forth strokes. If I’m getting paid to get rid of oxidation and for it not to come back for a good while sandpaper is necessary. Very seldom can you just buff away oxidation and it last. I have dealerships that sell boats I refurbish upholstery as well as gel and it’s sold with some warranty on my work. It’s gotta be right.
    Yup whatever works. This was so dull I had people telling me I had to re gel it. Ill stay out of these threads and just keep on with my resto threads.