live scope question

used my live-scope this weekend pushing jigs . Wondering if anyone has figure out what the cone angle width is from 15 ft. out to 50 ft. was seeing my jigs at 16 ft on one pole , but with the four pole ends at about 6 ft apart was only able to one of my jig setups ,without having to turn my transducer pole mount. I'm sure someone out there has the math background that can figure this out . Its above my head since its been many years that I could think about trying to figure anything like this out . I think this would be helpful for anyone using live-scope.

2. Banned
    Here ya go explained by the Wizard.. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=967951

3. Member
    If the cone angle is actually 20 dry at 16’ from the transducer your probably only covering roughly 4’
    give or take. If your jigs are spread apart much your not going to see them all.
    Im also don’t think your going to see a small jig that far unless it is centered
    in the cone angle.
    Someone with more experience should be along shortly

4. Member
    I have no idea what the cone angle widths measure the closer/further away but, for comparison, I can generally only see one of my lines at a time. I run (8) 14' rods...my lines hang at the 10'-12' mark on the screen depending on the rod position. I can clearly see minnows, jigs, sinkers...depending on setup. This is the main reason I've left my transducer on the TM...I'm constantly swinging back/forth watching for incoming fish and their respective depths.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

5. Member
    A friend of mine figured the cone angle for me today this is what he came up with. 10' =3.6' 20'=7' 30'=10.6' 40' =14.2' 50'=16.6' 60'=21.2' 70' = 24.6' 80 '=28.2' 90 ' =32' . Thanks for everyone responding . I mainly fish one pole and one jig on standing timber . I have my transducer on removable pole that I can scan from tree to tree first fish i saw hit my jig was a 10lb yellow cat he and I went round and round for a little while but i landed it and released it . I find myself watching the screen instead of watching my line going to miss fish . never did catch them all anyway.

6. Member
    Wow.....that is awesome on the numbers on the cone spread at different distances. Thanks!

7. Member
    Not arguing the accuracy of the cone angle numbers as they are close enough if not right on from what I have seen posted.
    My limited experience with both a PS22 and the Livescope the cone angles remind me more of two snowcone cups with the tops put end to end. Not saying that is the actual transmit coverage but the further you get from the object after 40-50’ the closer to center the target needs to be to be able to see it.
    Just an example. Using the PS22.One of the bridges I often fish it has 36” concrete bridge piles. The bents are spaced 80’ apart.
    Looking from one bent to the next I can clearly see the pile as long as I have the transducer pointed directly at it. It takes very little movement left or right and I loose the image.
    Is that a change in cone angle or transmit power being greater in the center of the cone. Some say it’s the same thing but I’m not so sure.
    If it was a cone angle change we would not need to have the transducer pointed directly at a small jig to clearly see it at the closer range even when it’s within the cone.

Just my thoughts. Right or wrong.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim mitchell View Post
    A friend of mine figured the cone angle for me today this is what he came up with. 10' =3.6' 20'=7' 30'=10.6' 40' =14.2' 50'=16.6' 60'=21.2' 70' = 24.6' 80 '=28.2' 90 ' =32' . Thanks for everyone responding . I mainly fish one pole and one jig on standing timber . I have my transducer on removable pole that I can scan from tree to tree first fish i saw hit my jig was a 10lb yellow cat he and I went round and round for a little while but i landed it and released it . I find myself watching the screen instead of watching my line going to miss fish . never did catch them all anyway.
    I set in (via computer) on the seminar Garmin techs did a week ago on LiveScope LVS 32 and they only gave one comment in regards to range, they said at 60 feet cone would be approximately 22'. Right with what your numbers are! Thank you, going in my boat today!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
    Not arguing the accuracy of the cone angle numbers as they are close enough if not right on from what I have seen posted.
    My limited experience with both a PS22 and the Livescope the cone angles remind me more of two snowcone cups with the tops put end to end. Not saying that is the actual transmit coverage but the further you get from the object after 40-50’ the closer to center the target needs to be to be able to see it.
    Just an example. Using the PS22.One of the bridges I often fish it has 36” concrete bridge piles. The bents are spaced 80’ apart.
    Looking from one bent to the next I can clearly see the pile as long as I have the transducer pointed directly at it. It takes very little movement left or right and I loose the image.
    Is that a change in cone angle or transmit power being greater in the center of the cone. Some say it’s the same thing but I’m not so sure.
    If it was a cone angle change we would not need to have the transducer pointed directly at a small jig to clearly see it at the closer range even when it’s within the cone.

Just my thoughts. Right or wrong.
    instead of a “cone”, it’s probably better described as a lobe. Just as with radar, as you get farther out you need a more direct return to get a good signal back.

You’re absolutely not wrong.