Easing bunk friction...

Is there anything (like silicone) that folks use on their bunks to make loading easier. We are not legally allowed to power load in Michigan - can only idle on the trailer and apply no power. I have a Caracal and the trailer needs to be pretty shallow to get the nose over the roller. Typically idling comes up short and then you crank to get the bow over the roller and get back in the truck to back her down, and then crank it home. Depending on the steepness of the ramp, this can be simple or a real PITA.

I’d like to find something to put on the bunks to help ease the friction. Anyone have any recommendations? And yes, I wet the bunks fully before trying to recover.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. Member
    Liquid Roller. I haven’t used it myself but have read posts from other members that have and it gets lots of good reviews on Amazon. For $15.00 it may be worth a try.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

Ive heard poly boards are super slick and hold up forever, no more wood rot.

Soap the bunks down rather than silicone if your needing slippery. She will slip right up there. Just mix a little Dawn or Simple Green which is a bio product.

5. Banned
    Never tried soap.
    I do spray the carpet with silicone spray. Personally I found the silicone as it does not stick to dirt sand or grit as some other forms of lubricant.
    Usually I do this after I get in from fishing and the carpet has dried in the sun.
    Just realise that the boat will be likely to slip off the bunks on any steeper ramp. You may want to keep the strap and chain on until you are partially into the water.
    Last edited by D-wayne; 05-21-2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Sp

6. Scraps
    I wouldn't want anything like silicone, almost like a solvent, on my gelcoat. Not to mention you're dunking those bunks in the lake. I have gatorbaks and it seems like they're more sticky than carpeted bunks. Seems like I have to have the trailer way deeper than any other trailer I've had and do more winching than any other boat. I did upgrade to a Fulton two-speed winch and like it for avoiding a hernia.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

They used to sell some of those poly strips that attached to the bunks
    think Bass pro had them. heard they make them super slick.
    me I just back my trailer a tad shallow and crank it up but that's hard to do at every Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    They used to sell some of those poly strips that attached to the bunks
    think Bass pro had them. heard they make them super slick.
    me I just back my trailer a tad shallow and crank it up but that's hard to do at every Ramp
    My issue is getting the nose over the roller so I can back the trailer up and crank it home. I have to have the boat shallow to get over the roller, but then cranking is tough.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    My issue is getting the nose over the roller so I can back the trailer up and crank it home. I have to have the boat shallow to get over the roller, but then cranking is tough.
    Get a Fulton F-2 Winch, the low gear lets you move the boat with ease

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Is there anything (like silicone) that folks use on their bunks to make loading easier. We are not legally allowed to power load in Michigan - can only idle on the trailer and apply no power. I have a Caracal and the trailer needs to be pretty shallow to get the nose over the roller. Typically idling comes up short and then you crank to get the bow over the roller and get back in the truck to back her down, and then crank it home. Depending on the steepness of the ramp, this can be simple or a real PITA.

I’d like to find something to put on the bunks to help ease the friction. Anyone have any recommendations? And yes, I wet the bunks fully before trying to recover.
    The Caracal is a little finicky going on the trailer. I got really frustrated with it when I first got mine but now I get it on every time with no issues. The trailer has a sweet spot. you want the outer bunks sticking about 1" to 1 1/2" out of the water. Idle up on the trailer and let the boat settle. Then power on up. Also I set my atlas Jack plate on 12 and I trim up some. There are a bunch of threads about loading the Caracal on the trailer.

11. Member
    I tried carnauba wax last weekend and it worked. Almost too good.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

12. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post
    The Caracal is a little finicky going on the trailer. I got really frustrated with it when I first got mine but now I get it on every time with no issues. The trailer has a sweet spot. you want the outer bunks sticking about 1" to 1 1/2" out of the water. Idle up on the trailer and let the boat settle. Then power on up. Also I set my atlas Jack plate on 12 and I trim up some. There are a bunch of threads about loading the Caracal on the trailer.
    This is exactly how I load my Caracal. It works extremely well no matter how steep or gradual, the ramp might be. I don't have a hydraulic plate, but the method will work on any Caracal.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SethRstein View Post

Powerloading is illegal in Michigan.

And the big Fulton winch won’t fit on the Caracal trailer due to the way the step is designed.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Come back to Montana, we drive them right into the back of the truck!

15. Member
    I just hit warp speed before I get to my trailer..My truck lurches about a foot forward but I usually don't have much cranking...........

I just usually end up parking a little deep and lift the nose over the roller....It sucks though if that doesn't work and I am by myself....Then I have to get to the truck and inch it ahead and then get back into the boat to finish cranking...No big deal if I have a driver I just wave them up a bit.....It definetly seems easier to load this year with all the lake levels up so high...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn