TM and bow light

Last year I replaced my trolling motor with a Xi5. The way it is mounted it sits much closer to the nose than the old motor, so much that I think the visibility of the bow light for other boats must be impaired.

Has anyone else felt the need to replace the bow light with one that is taller?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I had the same issue with my Minn Kota Ulterra. It was so tall that it obstructed part of the bow navigation light. I lengthened the bow light pole about 6". It took a little redneck engineering but I found a piece of metal pipe slightly larger than the diameter of the light pole and that along with splicing some longer wires into the light pole extended it. I think the pipe I used was from an old metal broom handle. Spray painted it and it was done.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    I got rid of the pole up front al together and put individual side lights on the rear most outside corners of the front bow platform. That avoided the pole ever getting in the way when stowing or deploying and I never had to skip a couple casts in the evening to put it in.

4. Member
    Add a couple of LED strips. Never in the way, always ready to go, and much more visible...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drgrammer View Post
    Add a couple of LED strips. Never in the way, always ready to go, and much more visible...
    That looks like a great idea. Do you have a brand name or a place to buy?

My current light is a 12" bent Attwood. The largest they have is 14" and they aren't cheap. Not sure if the extra 2" is going to be enough, and if I am going to fix this I might as well go the LED route.

EDIT: After searching around for the LED strips I came across a problem - they aren't USCG approved. They don't meet the specs for visibility angles.
    Last edited by zelmo; 05-20-2019 at 06:48 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post

My current light is a 12" bent Attwood. The largest they have is 14" and they aren't cheap. Not sure if the extra 2" is going to be enough, and if I am going to fix this I might as well go the LED route.

EDIT: After searching around for the LED strips I came across a problem - they aren't USCG approved. They don't meet the specs for visibility angles.
    And yet... I have not heard of a SINGLE person getting in trouble for using them. soooo.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post

I used the 14" one, it is not in my way and meets USCG specs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbender View Post
    I used the 14" one, it is not in my way and meets USCG specs.
    When I measured my current one I got 12". Turns out that the Attwood sizing is after it is inserted into the base and represents how high it sits. That means I currently have the 10" model and the extra 4" on the 14" model will work out perfectly.

Thank you.

9. Member
    Academy Sports has them in the kayak section for about $10.