Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA 50th anniversary of Apollo 11

I got to thinking that this July is the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. I was only 5 1/2 at the time, but I remember my mom telling me to watch the coverage because it was making history. Proud day for America. I watched a cool documentary last night on Netflix called Mission Control about the Apollo series and the people back at home that made it all possible. One section where a test mission was circling the moon and the crew saw the earth rise, and one of the astronauts started quoting Genesis from the Bible gave me goosebumps. I hope America remembers that great day and celebrates this July 20th.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    I was 12 and I remember it. Some say it never happened but I say it did USA!

We toured the complex and saw the buildings the astronauts were in 2 days up to launch. All 3 drove a Corvette. 1 red, 1 white and 1 blue. It was one massive rocket. The hotel we stayed was right across the inlet. We could walk out of the door and see Apollo 11. CBS was next door to us.

4. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    I was born in APOLLO, PA, which is in ARMSTRONG County. That little town of 2,000 people went totally crazy on that day. I was a teenager and watched it on tv like everyone else. It was a proud day for Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB8 View Post
    I was born in APOLLO, PA, which is in ARMSTRONG County. That little town of 2,000 people went totally crazy on that day. I was a teenager and watched it on tv like everyone else. It was a proud day for Americans.
    That’s really cool!
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

‘Merica!!

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    My dad was on the launch team, Boeing engineers. He’s in the back row, second from left.

When dad dad passed in 2004, I was going through his papers looking for a life insurance policy. I found lots of Apollo related stuff. I also found a copy of an internal company resume. One line kinda summed it all up.

- Apollo/Saturn V design, build, ground test, flight test, launch, lunar orbit, lunar landing.

78F3A114-9CF9-4637-8AB5-014F01E590B2.jpeg

I saw saw all the Saturn V launches in person, I was 9 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
    Last edited by Warhawk; 05-19-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

8. Member
    Awesome stuff

I went to the Kennedy space center several years ago and I think I started at the Saturn V rocket for like an hour in total disbelief at its size and that someone had the balls to strap themselves to it and ride that train
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    There'll be a lot going on in my city! I was 6 at the time and lived in Blacksburg,Virginia. Dad was working on his PhD in engineering at VaTech when this incredible event occurred. Our parents all called us in that evening at dark and we sat around the black and white television for hours. Then it happened...Armstrong stepped on the moon!
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

10. Member
    I certainly remember that historic event. I was 8 years old at the time watching with family on what was then called a TV. It is incredible that a smartphone has more computing power than what was on the lunar module.

"That is one small step for man, on giant leap for mankind"

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    My dad was on the launch team, Boeing engineers. He’s in the back row, second from left.

When dad dad passed in 2004, I was going through his papers looking for a life insurance policy. I found lots of Apollo related stuff. I also found a copy of an internal company resume. One line kinda summed it all up.

- Apollo/Saturn V design, build, ground test, flight test, launch, lunar orbit, lunar landing.

78F3A114-9CF9-4637-8AB5-014F01E590B2.jpeg

I saw saw all the Saturn V launches in person, I was 9 when Apollo 11 landed on the moon.
    You can’t get much closer go the action than that. Did you follow in your Dads footsteps and work in the same field?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    You can’t get much closer go the action than that. Did you follow in your Dads footsteps and work in the same field?
    Sort of, I'm in Aerospace, I have inspected a lot of parts that went on the Shuttle, Space Station, and Delta rockets. And I've inspected parts for the SLS and CCV that will be going back to the moon, NASA says by 2024.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...dget-amendment

A little more of dad's stuff, in case anyone is into this

Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

13. Member
    Dad was able to save his copy of the launch countdown procedure for Apollo 14. Note that his signature is on the cover, that means he had to "sign off" that his area of responsibility (electro-ordnance systems) was good to go.

Same thing for Apollo 16

A better pic of the launch team

Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

14. Member
    Warhawk,
    It is awesome that your family has tie ins to the Apollo missions.

15. Banned
    Gives me chills... Dan

16. Member
    Hey Warhawk ,did your dad ever talk about the nazi scientists that were in on that?joe rogan had a journalist on last week that was talking about how the nazi scientists put the u.s. and Russia in the space game,guess I shoulda paid attention in history class.

17. Member
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

18. Member
    One of the sad parts of my life is I don't remember the actual moon landing. I had just graduated high school a month past my 18th birthday. I rarely watched TV or was at home during news time. Sowing my wild oats, chasing my girlfriend who is still my wife. It has always been a regret of mine. Missing the landing, I don't regret my wife

19. Member
    Wow! Thanks for sharing. Awesome memorabilia from your Dad. I was only one day old when they landed on the moon. Mom said all the TV’s were on in the hospital. She has joked that she should have named me Apollo. Kinda glad the meds wore off before she completed the birth certificate.

Warhawk, thanks for sharing. I’m going to watch the Mission Control documentary again. I love that stuff.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast