Boat problems need some help/adice were to start looking.

1B190289 2005 PRO XS

So, yesterday I fished the wolfsons childerens hospital TX out of palatka, fl. My partner and I decided to make a one way 45 mile run up the St. Johns. We got about half way to our destination running around 75 when the motor shut down for a split second. I thought I hit a manatee. We stopped looked at the prop lower unit didn't see anything. I restarted and off we went. I got to about 50 and it would intermittently die but never die completely. When it would die the gauges would go dead then come back on. The third time it happened I lost all power, trim ran slow and the starter would click when I turned it over like the battery was dead. But, the fishfinder would not go dead and showed a steady 12.8 volts the entire time I tried to start it. I opened the rear compartment and checked all the connections nothing was lose. It finally started again and would intermittently die. Then, as fast as it started it went away and didn't do it the rest of the day ran great. The boat is a 1994 Allison XB 2003 with a 2005 225 Pro XS. The mercmonitor never showed any alarms. Although when it would die the whistle would sound but, it sounded sick and lasted a millisecond. I came home pulled the cowl, opened all I could reach the harness from. Started it on the hose and yanked/pulled on the harness and touched/wiggled every plug on the motor while it was running and nothing never missed a beat. This is a MAJOR reliability problem and I cannot take this thing out if it might quit and leave me stranded somewhere. Being an old boat there are several splices in the ignition harness in the back compartment. I didn't make them they were there when I bought it in 2007. Plus, I run a newer motor now, I was thinking of buying a new 14 pin ignition harness and key switch and starting there any one ever seen this before or have a better idea of what I should be looking at? Thanks

High resistance/intermittent open in the battery cables or connections to the motor, voltage drop test both power and grounds while cranking, check every connection for hot spots while cranking as well as the grounds for the coil plate
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Went out in the boat today and ran it for 2-3 hours of riding and no problems.

Recently added a Level 1 Mercmonitor could this be the cause?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Recently added a Level 1 Mercmonitor could this be the cause?
    No.
    Have the start battery load tested.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Disconnect and reconnect the Electrical Harness Connection inside the cowling (as well as any adapters that may be in the circuit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor