Boat problems need some help/adice were to start looking.

So, yesterday I fished the wolfsons childerens hospital TX out of palatka, fl. My partner and I decided to make a one way 45 mile run up the St. Johns. We got about half way running around 75 when the motor shut down for a split second. I thought I hit a manatee. We stopped looked at the prop lower unit didn't see anything. I restarted and off we went. I got to about 50 and it would intermittently die but never die completely. When it would die the gauges would go dead then come back on. The third time it happened I lost all power, trim ran slow and the starter would click when I turned it over like the battery was dead. But, the fishfinder would not go dead and showed a steady 12.8 volts the entire time I tried to start it. I opened the rear compartment and checked all the connections nothing was lose. It finally started again and would intermittently die. Then, as fast as it started it went away and didn't do it the rest of the day ran great. This is in a 1994 2003 with a 2005 225 Pro XS. The mercmonitor never showed any alarms. Although when it would die the whistle would sound but, it sounded sick and lasted a millisecond. This is a MAJOR reliability problem and I cannot take this thing out if it might quit and leave me stranded somewhere. Being an old ass boat there are several splices in the ignition harness in the back compartment. I didn't make them they were there when I bought it in 2007. Plus I run a newer motor now, I was thinking of buying a new 14 pin ignition harness and key switch and starting there any one ever seen this before?

2. Member
    Definitely sounds like a connection. Did you check main power/depend on motor itself?

Yes, I pulled the cowling and checked the main power and ground. Pulled on the power connector in the cowl. I have a 7 pin to 14 pin converter harness pulled all that stuff as well. Touched/pulled every connector on the engine while running on the hose at home this morning. I also pulled the harness throughout the boat while it was running this morning and it ran fine the entire time. I am at a loss other than pulling all the old and replacing with new.

4. Member
    I had a Ranger that did this and turns out it was a short in the kill switch. Whenever I’d hit a wake the boat would just shut down but everything seemed ok when I switched the key back on. It’s doesn’t sound exactly like your issue but worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I had a Ranger that did this and turns out it was a short in the kill switch. Whenever I’d hit a wake the boat would just shut down but everything seemed ok when I switched the key back on. It’s doesn’t sound exactly like your issue but worth a look.
    Water conditions were much worst in the afternoon and that didn't to cause it to happen again. SO, I am pretty lost here. I will make sure to look at that for sure.

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Electrical gremlins are a bitch to uncover.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Electrical gremlins are a bitch to uncover.
    I ran it today for 2-3 hours with no issues. Electrical gremlins' are bitch that's why I am thinking about yanking the entire wiring harness, key switch and shifter assembly. Then installing all new stuff. Sound like over kill?

Nope, not if you plan on keeping the boat. Peace of mind is huge imo especially when you are running a decent distance and back.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    Nope, not if you plan on keeping the boat. Peace of mind is huge imo especially when you are running a decent distance and back.
    Well this one is paid for and I cant afford a new one now. So, yea I will be keeping this one for a while.

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The only way it becomes overkill is if in the process of removing everything you discover something dam simple that caused the problem
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Moderator
    Unplug the 8-prong plug at the adapter cable again and take a closer look. The pins are split down the center, if any of them are flat, that is probably where your problem lies. If needed, spread them all slightly to make sure they are making a good connection. Also check the fuses and holder that are attached to the ecu to make sure there's no corrosion.
    With the age of the boat, it will not hurt to install a new MERCURY ignition switch also.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    Unplug the 8-prong plug at the adapter cable again and take a closer look. The pins are split down the center, if any of them are flat, that is probably where your problem lies. If needed, spread them all slightly to make sure they are making a good connection. Also check the fuses and holder that are attached to the ecu to make sure there's no corrosion.
    With the age of the boat, it will not hurt to install a new MERCURY ignition switch also.
    If I wanted to replace everything harness, ignition switch and control box. How do I find the correct part numbers? Thanks Lee.

13. Moderator
    Whoever you order it from can look everything up in Mercury's accessory catalog.
    The boat/ignition harness comes with the ignition switch. The harness comes in different length's 20' should do the trick.
    You can get the newer style 14 pin harness and eliminate the adapter cable.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    What Lee said!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

the ignition switch,keys,kill switch,power to dash guages,and alarm horn etc., all come with a new factory harness,the last one I bought was under $200,but was an 8 pin,20 footer is plenty in an 03,
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    If I wanted to replace everything harness, ignition switch and control box. How do I find the correct part numbers? Thanks Lee.

If you have a power cut off switch to turn off all power from the battery, might check there. I've had mine go bad.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    ^^^^ This. If your engine runs through a disconnect remove it and bypass the disconnect. I always wire the engine straight to the battery with the engine cables on battery first.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    ^^^^ This. If your engine runs through a disconnect remove it and bypass the disconnect. I always wire the engine straight to the battery with the engine cables on battery first.
    No disconnect. I need to call you and get some pricing and figure out what I need.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    No disconnect. I need to call you and get some pricing and figure out what I need.
    Just let me know! Ive been slammed the last few weeks.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X