79 evinrude 150 loss of power intermediatly HELP

Good ole 79 150hp, was at the lake running around like crazy all over the place, turned motor off just for a few minutes, turned back on out of idle zone went to get on plane was all good and fine then just bogged out, went to try again same thing. Immediately thought a fuel problem, maybe filter or bulb or selector valve, so new bulb new filter and hard lined tank to motor no valve. Went to lake today, won’t get on plane. I should say sometimes, it feels like it’s not firing all cylinders then it will clear up run fine try to get on plane and half way will bog out. Or it just won’t go past about 2900 or so, and now it’s having a tad trouble starting. I thought switchboard like my old merc but it doesn’t have one. So would it be cool packs, or what? Brad new spark plus second time out on them. She was running amazing no issues ever. Full compression on test also. End of the day turned it on hit the gas and she took off got on plane but bogged out just after luckily was able to stay up and cruise at 30mph to the dock. Has to be electrical. someone help.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check for spark on all 6.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Check for spark on all 6.
    yeah that will be the first thing I do but like I said it’s on and off so if she wants to run right out of the water it won’t help narrow it down

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Put it in a tank or the lake so there is a load on it, OR if you don't want to do that buy a stator, timer base, both power packs and see what happens.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Put it in a tank or the lake so there is a load on it, OR if you don't want to do that buy a stator, timer base, both power packs and see what happens.
    So had the wife crank as I checked plugs, looked like the driver side 3 cylinders would fire at random, put plugs back in the entire right side if I pulled a plug wouldn’t affect the idle which was very rough. If would affect it every so often I could feel the driver side wires pulse when they would fire but the other side was every couple times on all 3, power pack, coils or trigger?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Swap the power pack and see if it follows or stays. If it follows replace pack if not test the stator.

7. Member
    Turns out it’s the damn spark plugs, the lake I was at had a hugeeee marina and no wake zone, along with idling for a good 10 mins and driving very slow for another when I punched it to get on pad and dumped all that fuel into the engine that must have been the tipping point, I wire brushed the plugs off to look brand new, turned the key and it started in a split second, this tank was also the first time I used 87 because premium was out I must have fudged my oil mix also. All that added to one big pain in the ass. Makes sense Idk why I didn’t realize that especially since I pulled the plugs and whipped them off when I was on the water and that was the time the motor ran proper getting on pad then loss all power again, I’m still going to replace the power packs and coils the motor is old and sat for a while I’ll also replace the trigger and stator one of these days to prevent future problems

8. Member
    Well I take that back ���� went out today, started right up backed off trailer went for a quick spin came back picked up my buddy went to get on plane and it pooped out went back to 3k rpm wouldn’t go past, went ahead and put in new spark plugs that are conventional and coil packs, just ordered stator and trigger, wondering if I should do the coils while I’m at it. But I want to order a set of them so I don’t have to splice wires

9. Member
    When I had one limited in RPMs it was the power pack. And uhhhhh, you’re throwing a lot of parts at it ...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
    When I had one limited in RPMs it was the power pack. And uhhhhh, you’re throwing a lot of parts at it ...
    It’s a 79 engine that sat for 10-12 years outside no cover or anything, I paid 509 bucks for boat,trailer and motor. I have no problem throwing money into it and replacing everything to make it last

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
    I did replace both power packs, seemed like it worked but problem came back shortly after so I’ll take a guess it’s stator/trigger or coil packs. If the stator and trigger don’t do it I’ll order new coil packs