Scratches on 2007 20i

I have a 2007 20i with a black stripe above the rub rail. It seems every time I walk around the boat I see new scratches in the black stripe. They are vertical scratches and very light. It is not stress cracks. I think they could be wet sanded out or compounded out. The issue I do not know where they are coming from. I do not tow it with a cover on it and I take very good care of it. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas where they could be coming from?

Thank you,

Brady

Quote Originally Posted by thebradybunch View Post
    Has anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas where they could be coming from?

Thank you,

Brady
    Pics?

Without pictures it’s tough to figure out what you have going on. In any case most light scuffs and scratches will come out. 2000 grit usually will get the job done along with some 3M compound.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Thanks guys,

I am not sure you are going to be able to see them. They are very hard to photograph and I put wax on the boat this week which temporarily fills the scratches. They are very light and run up and down mostly.

IMG_20190519_142620.jpg

5. Banned
    Try black permanent magic marker to hide or https://www.autogeek.net/megscratxfin.html. to remove.

6. Member
    You've got a 12 year old boat and it only has a couple scratches?

Do ever fish out of it?

ROTFLOL !!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post

Do ever fish out of it?

ROTFLOL !!
    Lol, the picture is only a sample of the scratches. There are a many more. And yes it gets used most every weekend.

8. Member

Do ever fish out of it?

ROTFLOL !!
    So your not supposed to take care of your boat after a certain age?

9. Member
    I cant see em from my house so I wouldn't stress, no pun intended.

10. Member
    I never criticize what other people do. Some people want their boats, trucks, cars, houses to look pretty. If you are into that, have fun, enjoy yourself. Not my thing. My boat is a fishing tool. I try not to abuse it, but if I have to scratch it to get to the fish, I won't hesitate.

I maintain my boat mechanically pretty seriously as I would maintain any tool, but it's not a love object. I have wives, kids, grand kids and cats to love.

11. Member
    I never criticize what other people do. Some people want their boats, trucks, cars, houses to look pretty. If you are into that, have fun, enjoy yourself. Not my thing. My boat is a fishing tool. I try not to abuse it, but if I have to scratch it to get to the fish, I won't hesitate.

I maintain my boat mechanically pretty seriously as I would maintain any tool, but it's not a love object. I have wives, kids, grand kids and cats to love.
    Same here sans the cats............ah chooo!!!!!!!!
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

I fish once or twice a week year round. My boat is 2010 ZX 200 that looks like new. I bought it used with lots of scuffs and scraps. Wet sanding and compounding along with weekly cleanings keep it in peak condition. I keep my truck clean as well. I fish with another guy who never cleans his boat. If he needs a lure he just picks one up off the deck.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    I have a 20i with a a similar paint scheme, I started seeing more and more scratches like that. I also started being a boat captain for my nephew and his high school buddy, when they are constantly jumping in and out of the boat when its on the trailer they were dragging their butts as they were sliding out of the boat and back onto the ground. Not sure something like that is your problem but I just buffed my boat with a medium compound then a finesse glaze then a good 3M wax, all or at least most of those scratches came out.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs258 View Post
    I have a 20i with a a similar paint scheme, I started seeing more and more scratches like that. I also started being a boat captain for my nephew and his high school buddy, when they are constantly jumping in and out of the boat when its on the trailer they were dragging their butts as they were sliding out of the boat and back onto the ground. Not sure something like that is your problem but I just buffed my boat with a medium compound then a finesse glaze then a good 3M wax, all or at least most of those scratches came out.
    Thank you, that is very helpful.

15. Member
    Those don’t look quite like it, but rod tips make vertical scratches as they bouncy in the boat. Easily buffs out though.

16. Member
    Looks like buffing compound will do the trick on those. Use the 3m brand, I've found it works better than the maguire's. Rod tip scratches will come out with a Mr clean magic eraser pretty easily. It will dull the glass a bit but between yearly buffing they work great.
    Nick McDaniel