Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Way to much technology for me

So I just bought a new to me 185 vs with 175 HPDI. That part of the rig is fine. On this boat I have three electronic units linked together, console Lowrance HDS 7 Carbon, HDS 9" Gen 3, the bow has a HDS Carbon 7. They are all linked to a 80# Xi5 Motorguide TM. I can't begin to figure out all of the electronics linked together and using that trolling motor is for the birds. I don't like having to step on the release , bend over the boat in choppy water to pull up the TM and the foot control is blue tooth and needs batteries, No thanks !! I'm going to sell the Xi5 and get a 36 v Minkota fortrex used and sell the 9'HDS gen 3 . I just want to fish man and not deal with all that crap.

But I will admit the spot lock is awesome.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So I just bought a new to me 185 vs with 175 HPDI. That part of the rig is fine. On this boat I have three electronic units linked together, console Lowrance HDS 7 Carbon, HDS 9" Gen 3, the bow has a HDS Carbon 7. They are all linked to a 80# Xi5 Motorguide TM. I can't begin to figure out all of the electronics linked together and using that trolling motor is for the birds. I don't like having to step on the release , bend over the boat in choppy water to pull up the TM and the foot control is blue tooth and needs batteries, No thanks !! I'm going to sell the Xi5 and get a 36 v Minkota fortrex used and sell the 9'HDS gen 3 . I just want to fish man and not deal with all that crap.

But I will admit the spot lock is awesome.
    Do yourself a huge favor and don’t change anything. Figure out how to use it and you’ll love it. Trust all of us who have gone the other way, from low tech to high tech. It is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Do yourself a huge favor and don’t change anything. Figure out how to use it and you’ll love it. Trust all of us who have gone the other way, from low tech to high tech. It is amazing.
    I concur, learn how to use them, go to the different forums on here for each unit/TM and ask questions, there are a lot of folks willing to help a brother out. Also check out YouTube, they have videos for everything. Embrace the technology and good luck

Spanky

BTW, I just installed a new Lowrance HDS 12 Live and all I can say about this unit is HOLY s#&t !, this thing is phenomenal....

Spanky

5. Member
    Here is the thing. If something goes wrong I don't know the difference between it's broke or I have the wrong setting . I also don't know how to check. I literally couldn't get the trolling motor pedals to work and had to use the hand remotes. Why would I ever need two units on the console?

6. Member
    2 units look awesome and other fishermen going past will think you really know what you are doing. Anyone can catch a fish but not everyone can look awesome fishing.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Here is the thing. If something goes wrong I don't know the difference between it's broke or I have the wrong setting . I also don't know how to check. I literally couldn't get the trolling motor pedals to work and had to use the hand remotes. Why would I ever need two units on the console?
    One unit for your chart and another for DI, SI, 2D etc.

8. Member
    I have 2 12 Carbon’s at my console, a 16 Live at the bow and a Garmin 1022 with Livescope at the bow. I can see into their souls.

If you upgrade,,,,,Get an Ultrex. The Xi5 will do anchor so you have it already. I had one and I agree with the bending over and pulling up the motor being a dangerous pain. That's why I sold the Xi5 and purchased the Ultrex! This is one slick motor. The ease of foot control (cable controlled) is phenominal. Spot Lock is even better. Coupled with a Humminbird it's super crazy. I can follow the shore and stay in 12 foot of water with a click of a button, and so much more!
    2015/Z119C with Mercury Pro XS 225/Humminbird Solix 10 (Bow)/Humminbird Solix 10 & Lowrance HDS 9Touch (console)/112 Ultrex with iPilot Link (MegaDownscan built in)/2019 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Liter 4 X 4 SR5 TRD

10. Member
    Know how u feel I’m tech challenged myself..lol

11. Member
    Ha , I agree BOTRDAY

12. Member
    What did you get for your Xi5 Mine is 80#

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZII9C View Post
    If you upgrade,,,,,Get an Ultrex. The Xi5 will do anchor so you have it already. I had one and I agree with the bending over and pulling up the motor being a dangerous pain. That's why I sold the Xi5 and purchased the Ultrex! This is one slick motor. The ease of foot control (cable controlled) is phenominal. Spot Lock is even better. Coupled with a Humminbird it's super crazy. I can follow the shore and stay in 12 foot of water with a click of a button, and so much more!
    Those shore contours suck.

14. Member
    Also, get a handle for the Xi5. It’s a Carbondale bike part. Makes it a breeze. I can try to locate the part number if you are interested.

15. Member
    I wonder if the guys recommending keeping the xi5 ever owned one! I did! And it is by far the worst purchase I have ever made in 22 years of fishing. IMHO, they are complete junk! Especially that thing they call a foot pedal! Completely useless! As others have recommended. If you like spot lock, get yourself an Ultrex. Those things are professional quality and worth every cent!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I wonder if the guys recommending keeping the xi5 ever owned one! I did! And it is by far the worst purchase I have ever made in 22 years of fishing. IMHO, they are complete junk! Especially that thing they call a foot pedal! Completely useless! As others have recommended. If you like spot lock, get yourself an Ultrex. Those things are professional quality and worth every cent!
    I own one. I rarely use the foot pedal. I don’t need to. The lanyard is so convenient. I fish more now than I ever did since I’m not having to constantly tend to the trolling motor.

Crazy world we live in with lots of opinions huh.....I love mine and am on my second by choice.

18. Member
    I use birds and it takes awhile to work through anybody's locators. I'm still tweaking and it pays off in info.
    Have a Terrova and would never go back to foot control. You can point the boat and go there. This gives you more casts and you don't have to worry every second if your still on course. Mine is the older spot lock not as accurate, but you learn how to approach and position it holds pretty good. New one is better, just not worth upgrading for me.
    Please release me,let me go.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I own one. I rarely use the foot pedal. I don’t need to. The lanyard is so convenient. I fish more now than I ever did since I’m not having to constantly tend to the trolling motor.
    There's a reason you've never seen one a pro's boat! Just saying.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member
    There's a reason you've never seen one a pro's boat! Just saying.
    I’ll admit it’s not good for running docks and have said so in other threads. I would prefer a cable foot control in addition to the lanyard. But to call it complete junk is just not accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast