Thread: Wheeler

Wheeler

Ive fished Wheeler for 35 years. Most times I’ve been able to eventually put together SOMETHING to catch some fish. This spring has been brutal for me. Now, I don’t get to go
    like I used to and I’m certainly not a tournament level angler but DANG! Took my son for a while this morning and he had a smallmouth early on a little square bill. That’s it. What’s the consensus on wheeler ? Is it that I suck that bad or is it changing and I can’t keep up? Are the other Tn. River lakes this rough too? I only get to go a few times a year anymore due to life and work but I’ve about sworn wheeler off.
    Ha! Rant over and awaiting responses.
    Thanks!

2. Member
    It is the Dead Sea. I can catch them on Pickwicke and Wilson all day but have no luck on Wheeler

3. Member
    It has been a stange year so far on Wheeler. Been quite a bit tougher.

Been catching them pretty good so far this year. I mostly fish the lower end of the lake. Find a point and hold on.
    2021 Nitro Z21/300 4 stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    It is the Dead Sea. I can catch them on Pickwicke and Wilson all day but have no luck on Wheeler
    I would have to agree mightily on the "Dead Sea" analogy. Tournament friday night out of lucy's branch had 28 boats and only took 11.5 lbs to win. MANY boats reported catching 0-5 fish. The most alarming thing to me, is the numbers of fish being caught. The quality seems to still be descent, especially early in the year, late february and march. But the numbers of fish have plummeted the last 3-4 years...in my opinion.

6. Banned
    I disagree. Our club fished it for the first time on May 4th. Now no one caught giants but guys did catch 3 and 4lbers. Most guys caught anywhere from 20 to 50 fish. Lots of smaller smallmouth mixed in.
    I really enjoyed it. We normally fish Wilson or Gville but tried Wheeler. We normally fish the coosa and warrior river.

Wheeler is healthy but it is difficult.. little fish on the bank...big fish are out...numbers are out..

8. Member
    I’ll respectfully disagree on it being healthy. It has steadily went downhill since 2008...hopefully the eel grass showing up will help. Amazing how wildly the opinions vary when it comes to wheeler. I’ll say this, she’s the red headed stepchild of the Tennessee river in Alabama. Guntersville, pickwick, and Wilson are all much better fisheries.

Just a few years ago in one of the fish surveys, it had one of the higher populations if 5 lb bass recorded... Wheeler is not an unhealthy lake.. It just makes you think in order to unlock it's bounty.... And a lot of folks don't have that kind of patience around here when you have the other fisheries up and down the Tennessee river.... And trust me, I hate this lake as much as anyone and prolly more than most... But I also know what kind of bags can be had on any given day here...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I agree that there are good fish on wheeler. I suppose I’m old and impatient nowadays. I used to love fishing wheeler back in the late 80’s. Fishin was easy. I’m more of a “let’s get em early and quick” kinda guy anymore and it just doesn’t work for me very often.

11. Member
    Come to my lake if you want to experience a true dead lake...