Oil Filter 2 Stroke

Had a low oil alarm today on blast-off, at the end of a 20 odd mile run. Fished the day and checked the engine, was down about 1 inch on internal oil reservoir. Removed cap and it did not fill up. Checked and found a split in crank case pressure hose. Repaired that and still no fill up. In the end, the all white inline filter in the oil pressure line was plugged. Removed it and made the trip home safely.

Is this or should it be a part of my regular maintenance, to change that out every so often?

2. Member
    I never replaced any of mine, but I may change that line of thinking after seeing what happened to you.

3. Banned
    I did a search on the 'net, and found several threads on the subject.
    Based on what I read, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the line, filter, and the check (pulse) valve.

Good luck tomorrow.

4. Member
    That inline filter is to keep junk from remote tank getting into VST. If the filter was clogged, you best check your remote tank and pickup too or might repeat this scenario. Should, theoretically, never need replacing if the oil doesn't gel (frequent use precludes this) and dirt/debris doesn't get into remote tank when refilling (most likely cause).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    I would say that the pressure was enough to split the hose, probably a weak point in it near the fitting.

I'll clean out my tank and run a new line etc. I always have oil in the tank but I use the boat maybe 20 times a year. Engine is 5 years old and just 200 hours on it so far.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    That inline filter is to keep junk from remote tank getting into VST. If the filter was clogged, you best check your remote tank and pickup too or might repeat this scenario. Should, theoretically, never need replacing if the oil doesn't gel (frequent use precludes this) and dirt/debris doesn't get into remote tank when refilling (most likely cause).
    I'm confused here (just trying to learn). I thought fuel was the only thing that went through the VST, oil goes through there too?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I'm confused here (just trying to learn). I thought fuel was the only thing that went through the VST, oil goes through there too?
    You would be correct.
    Oil goes from the remote tank to the motor oil tank, then to the oil pump, then is pumped through the various oil circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    You would be correct.
    Oil goes from the remote tank to the motor oil tank, then to the oil pump, then is pumped through the various oil circuits.
    That was always my understanding.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Member
    What I get for posting with interruptions, absolutely correct, that hose and filter go to the engine reservoir NOT the VST.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to include the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

No harm in replacing this filter. If IT has become restricted, you really need to inspect the pickup screen in the tank (and if IT is restricted, that tank should be cleaned out).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Whoops... I knew better 😉

1B937241

Yes, looked at screen and it was not plugged but it looked gummy if that's the best way to describe it.

Going to drain tank, flush it and replace that filter plus throw one on my spare parts wall.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    Whoops... I knew better 

1B937241

Yes, looked at screen and it was not plugged but it looked gummy if that's the best way to describe it.

Going to drain tank, flush it and replace that filter plus throw one on my spare parts wall.
    And that's why I suggested same. Glad you found the source of where the "contaminants" in the filter came from.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax