Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding Blue Sea Fuse Box

As the title says - I’m going to be adding a Blue Sea Fuse box (6 circuit with cover and negative) to my Ranger RT178. I’m borderline low on voltage at my Helix 10” bow unit especially when running things like the bilge or livewell. Console is a bit low as well but within specs.

The plan is to mount it under the console and run 8g wire back to the main breaker switch. I’ll then run 10 or 12g from the fuse block to the bow. I also have the Ultrex HS at the bow but I see no reason why it can’t remain connected to the provided terminal block.

But I’m a bit lost on how to make the connection at the bow to the Helix. Dedicated terminal blocks? Butt connectors? Soldered? I’m also running out of room in the factory rubber boot for more wires. With the console transducer, two Ethernet wires and the factory harness already going through it it’s going to be a tight squeeze if not impossible. What has everyone else done there? I really don’t think two 8g wires plus more wires for the bow are going to fit. Am I looking at just drilling out a decent sized hole to add a second wiring boot?

Positive and negative buss bar.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Positive and negative buss bar.

Something like these?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/270...ar_-_5_Circuit

https://www.bluesea.com/products/272...20_Stud_5_Gang

4. Member
    From your BS panel, run 12 ga wires (pos & neg) to each unit. Use butt connectors and cover with heat shrink. Be sure and place a 30 amp waterproof fuse in the 8 ga pos close to the connection to your main breaker switch. No fuses required in the 12 ga wires; fuse protect at the panel with appropriate sized fuse. I strongly suggest you place all your electronics on the fuse panel. Much easier to trouble shoot. In my last 2 boats, I mounted the BS panel in my starboard rod locker, where it is out of the way and dry.

5. Member
    I did this to clean up the battery terminals and to supply enough voltage to the Helix 10s at console and bow that I added. I think I used 6 gauge from battery to the panel, for sure 10 gauge from panel to units and soldered all connections. Seems to still be working, got good voltage, but not sure if overkill or not.
    Don't know why image rotated 90°.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Under dash Blue Sea. Positive and negative from Battery. 3 HDS units, 1 SS3D box, 1 power to the N2K backbone.

Manuel breaker at the battery to kill all power for the N2K, as there is a Point 1 antenna in the system.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Ed I’m impressed with the shielded cable to the electronics. That’s what I will do next time
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Not sure if I can hook into the existing main breaker/switch installed by Ranger. What size breaker/switch would be sufficient - 25amp? Would an in-line fuse still be needed on this line between the batter and breaker?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Not sure if I can hook into the existing main breaker/switch installed by Ranger. What size breaker/switch would be sufficient - 25amp? Would an in-line fuse still be needed on this line between the batter and breaker?
    I used a 30amp, but I think a 25amp would be perfect. No additional fuse needed, breaker or fuse not both.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I used a 30amp, but I think a 25amp would be perfect. No additional fuse needed, breaker or fuse not both.

I might just swap out the factory breaker for a Blue Sea model that can accept multiple wires. Don’t think they make a 20amp though which is what the factory installed. It’s totally enclosed with two holes just big enough for the main 6g wire.

2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    Would changing out the factory 20amp breaker to a 25amp be an issue? They don’t have one like the below in 20amp. They’ve got ones similar to what Ranger used but they’re all enclosed and won’t accomodate additional wires.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/713...face_Mount_25A

13. Member
    Several of these guys are on the right track. 8ga from battery to fuse block with a 30A breaker coming off battery. Pos and neg at fuse block. 12ga from fuse block to units. Connect 12ga to unit wiring -- no need for an extra fuse there.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

oops, sorry !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I ran 10 AWG to the fuse block, then 12 AWG to each unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I tried the whole fuse block with 8 and 10 gauge wire. No matter what i did I had a flicker when hit the starter... i just hooked both my console 12s up to my battery with a fuse right at the positive post

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

17. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Would changing out the factory 20amp breaker to a 25amp be an issue? They don’t have one like the below in 20amp. They’ve got ones similar to what Ranger used but they’re all enclosed and won’t accomodate additional wires.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/713...face_Mount_25A
    Yes, potential overheating and boat fire issue if you haven't consulted Ranger for approval.........The factory engineer already set up the boat's wiring for needed protection at 20 amps; not 25.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Yes, potential overheating and boat fire issue if you haven't consulted Ranger for approval.........The factory engineer already set up the boat's wiring for needed protection at 20 amps; not 25.
    Absolutely correct, reason we're telling him to come off the battery with an adequate breaker / wiring to a separate fuse box. Leave factory alone.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I like to use this Marathon Block for my personal wiring. I use it for my TM connections and units. You can get it in many sizes.

https://www.newark.com/marathon/306/...ion/dp/06H1560
    ​Justin Scott
    Rocket
    Yamaha SHO

Youtube channel... Please subscribe.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp7...VnHj2tQ4BvAaMw

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Under dash Blue Sea. Positive and negative from Battery. 3 HDS units, 1 SS3D box, 1 power to the N2K backbone.

Here is my solution....

I like yours better. What is the model/part number/identifier for the common source fuse block you are using in that pic?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast