Trailer lights wiring - what is this?

1990 Ranger Trailer

I have a STBD tail light that is not working correctly unless you squeeze whatever this is, so obviously whatever is going on in there is not getting a good connection. Can I bypass it?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Cheap splice that always fails
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Crimp on wire connector. There is a little metal guillotine with slots inside the plastic. You put a wire on each side and squeeze it. It slices through the insulation and 'touches' the wires. Then you snap the plastic closed.
    A truly crappy but cheap way to connect wires. You can open it up and pull the metal thing out, move the wires down and re squeeze to get a fresh bite. It will probably work again for as long as they worked this time.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Cheap splice that always fails
    Ok, so it's basically not functional. Was worried it was some type of inline fuse or something.

Thanks for the quick response.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Take it apart, slide a shrink tube on one wire, solder the wires, slide shrink tube over splice—- heat

6. Member
    It goes in the Round File. A good way to ruin wire, it lets water under the insulation and with voltage on the wire, it invites failure.

7. Member
    We always called them ScotchLocks. A cheap way to tap into an existing circuit. They fail faster than any other connection up here in the rust belt. A silicone-loaded butt connector with adhesive heat-shrink tubing is the next better solution. Solder and shrink tubing will last for a decade.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    We always called them ScotchLocks. A cheap way to tap into an existing circuit. They fail faster than any other connection up here in the rust belt. A silicone-loaded butt connector with adhesive heat-shrink tubing is the next better solution. Solder and shrink tubing will last for a decade.
    They are called Quick Splice. That’s not a scotchlock. Scotchlock is typically gel filled amd is used for communication wire up to 19ga. They come in either yellow or red. Yellow is for two wires and red is for three. I’m in the communications business and use a ton of scotchlocks.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

It's supposed to split the BROWN "Hot" wire to each side of the trailer for your running lights. This is not making connection properly and that's why your strb lights are not working. REMOVE this, attach a butt connector to the main wire on one end and tie the two wires together and connect them to the other end. Cover with heat shrink or liquid sealer and they should work.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    It's supposed to split the BROWN "Hot" wire to each side of the trailer for your running lights. This is not making connection properly and that's why your strb lights are not working. REMOVE this, attach a butt connector to the main wire on one end and tie the two wires together and connect them to the other end. Cover with heat shrink or liquid sealer and they should work.
    Basically what I did. To the "T".

Appreciate all of the info guys. All lights are back to working as they should.

I can't stand it when something is not working right

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Take it apart, slide a shrink tube on one wire, solder the wires, slide shrink tube over splice—- heat
    ^^^^^^^^^^ THIS, THIS and THIS!!! I learned the hard way - after using the el cheapo clip on splices myself.....they ALWAYS fail when water is introduced. Now I solder and shrink tube ALL my splices - trailer and in the boat.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    They are called Quick Splice. That’s not a scotchlock. Scotchlock is typically gel filled amd is used for communication wire up to 19ga. They come in either yellow or red. Yellow is for two wires and red is for three. I’m in the communications business and use a ton of scotchlocks.
    Scotchlok still makes the cheap original splice. I used to sell scotchlok back in the 70’s. The car stereo guys loved these connectors until they started going bad.
    https://www.parts-express.com/3m-sco...0-pcs--082-100
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Scotchlok still makes the cheap original splice. I used to sell scotchlok back in the 70’s. The car stereo guys loved these connectors until they started going bad.
    https://www.parts-express.com/3m-sco...0-pcs--082-100
    Well I stand corrected. Still a horrible splice connector.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431