Garmin Setup Advice Needed for New Rig

I have a new boat on order and I’m planning to move over my current Garmin system from my old rig to the new one, but I’m struggling with transducer configuration/options. I currently have two 7610xsv units, a GT-50, a GT-52, and a GT-15 (which is epoxied to the hull so I currently do not plan on trying to remove this). I ordered the new rig with a Garmin pre-rig, which I think just comes with a GT-8.

I also plan to use the $1,500 BassPro GC promotion from Triton to add a Garmin LiveScope system, likely mounted to a Fishing Specialties pole. However, you need to cover so much ground on my lake that most of my searching will likely be done under power at some speed, and my understanding is that the LiveScope is really only designed for use while trolling. So I will likely need to rely heavily on down imaging while under speed. Would you guys frown on using a stern mounted GT-50, GT-52 or a new transducer on a stern mount for this? Do you think the GT-50 or GT-52 on a stern mount would offer much better down imaging at speed than the GT-8 in hull?

Does it make sense for me to look at any Garmin transducers that have been released in the past 2 years? I will say I have been somewhat disappointed with the resolution and side imaging of this system on my current rig, but that could be due to my less than perfect ability to tweak settings. I do plan to change that with much more time on the water this year as I just retired.

I live on a very large lake and the patterns are not easy to figure out, so I really need to leverage the capabilities of my electronics and I don’t want to regret the way I setup my system up after I grow into it.

Any advice as to how to configure my current system and/or add to it would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.: The GT-15 I have in my old rig was installed in the antifreeze filled reservoir mount, so in theory I could reuse this and add it to the GT-8 the factory is installing if there’s that much difference between the two (maybe just use the GT-8 as a backup). I assume I could purchase another one of the mounting reservoirs from Garmin. I understand some don’t even use the reservoir and they just epoxy the GT-15 directly to the hull, but Garmin advised me in the past that this will marginally affect the returns to some degree.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Member
    i would use gt52, anything put on stern will be limited for speed just depends on where u put it u may have to move a few time to get it wright its kind of like the old skimmers trans. I put mine just a tad higher than Garmin suggest and worked out fine

3. Member
    Thanks. Does anyone think it’s worth the trouble to move my GT-15 over in light of the fact the rig is coming with a GT-8?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Thanks. Does anyone think it’s worth the trouble to move my GT-15 over in light of the fact the rig is coming with a GT-8?
    Given you already have a new GT8 installed, I wouldn't worry about it. I've used both of them and do prefer the GT15, but the GT8 is still a solid performer.
    Garmin Pro Team