Why not use Mega+ frequency 100% of the time?

In a couple posts I've seen people say they hardly ever use the Plus frequency? Why not, seems you paid a premium price to have it. What could possibly be the disadvantage of mega+?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtryguy View Post
    In a couple posts I've seen people say they hardly ever use the Plus frequency? Why not, seems you paid a premium price to have it. What could possibly be the disadvantage of mega+?
    The MEGA + is the current model for SI and DI units (G3/G3N), it isn't an additional premium price.
    Second generation MEGA SI and MEGA DI units are discontinued.

Lower frequencies have more coverage and longer range/depth capability.
    Additionally the MEGA frequency is so sensitive it doesn't work well seeing through the thermocline and muddy water, so you have to use a lower frequency to see the bottom.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne, seems like a downer but ok.

4. Member
    Wayne, in regards to the op question and your response, if your fishing clear waters like most NY lakes and generally under 30 feet should mega be the correct setting

Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    Wayne, in regards to the op question and your response, if your fishing clear waters like most NY lakes and generally under 30 feet should mega be the correct setting
    The MEGA units have three Imaging frequencies. You choose which one that does the best for the particular time you are on the water. Just takes a few seconds to determine that.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtryguy View Post
    Thanks Wayne, seems like a downer but ok.
    It's a tool to use just like everything else in your boat. I personally never use mega on the DI screen because the fish show better to me on 455. An HB employee at the classic made the point that he uses mega because the larger fish he is chasing show well on mega and the small fish don't. So he is using it as a tool to eliminate some of the fish. He is using his "tools" to help him find more fish that he is interested in.

7. Member
    It’s all I use. Never used 800 and never use 400 now.

8. Member
    I run mega side and 455 down. The mega/800 beam angle is too narrow when scanning for schools. I did the math once upon a time at in 20' of water you're only covering a couple feet with downscan. I can tell if a school is catchable based on how they're set up by looking on downscan and it's really hard to idle over a stretch and catch that school in a couple foot wide cone.

When I fish a local smallmouth lake I switch to 800 or 455 to cover more water. I'll be in 40-60' of water looking for rockpiles and the mega signal isn't strong enough to scan 100'+ at that depth to find the rock piles.

9. Member
    Its a tool in the tool box. 455 is a checkered face 22 oz framing hammer that will do all the dirty work. Mega is a 12 oz finish hammer. Dont use a finish hammer to do the heavy work. :) and dont try this with mega..
    Attached Images Attached Images

A big advantage of the touch screen units is being able to so quickly and easily switch frequencies and see the differences on the fly for yourself. On shallow grass 455 will give you far better coverage than 800 or Mega. For deep rocky lakes MEGA is usually better. As stated above just choose the correct tool for the task at hand.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Member
    What I have found is that to effectively use these units you are going to have to make some minor tweeks to your settings just about every trip on the water. For me the worst time of the year is when the pollen is out and at night when all the water creatures come to life.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap