Banned

Intermittant spark

Need the guru's help here. This is a little long but stay with me.

Bought a boat with a 1996 Evinrude 200hp, E200STLEDM 2 years ago. Had issues from the get go. Had intermittant spark, sometimes! Had issues with controls being in nuetral to start engine. So, Replaced key/kill switch and neutral switch early spring. Boat ran okay sometimes. then, fought a water in the cylinder problem. Replaced gaskets, milled heads, had a machinist check flatness of heads/block. All seemed fine except couldnt keep water out of #1 cylinder. Didn't run boat a whole lot that summer cause I was chasing water. I finally gave up on it and parted out the motor.

I found a 1996 225 E225STLEDE to replace. Bolted it up and ran great remainder of fall. Started well and top end was okay. Now this spring Im having issues starting and with top end. I just checked spark and it seems like I have 3 "dead" cylinders (2 port/1 starboard--no spark) in the garage.

So, I "think" I have a short between the controls and the engine since since its a whole "new" motor, new key switch and new neutral switch. concur? I have a manual, but I'm not by it at the moment.

Need trouble shooting help please.

Checking boats.net, I'm unable to locate a the wire harness/controls? part number help needed?

Thank you in advance.

Why would a keyswitch harness trouble cause you to lose only 3 cyl, and on different banks?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Banned
    I'm not sure?

I guess that is the part of the puzzle thats the same between the 2 motors? Same issue, 2 different motors.
    I'm assuming the issue is between the key switch and the starter. I "think" there's a short there, causing power pack or other ignition system to go whacky.

I'm not a mechanic and I'm all ears though!
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 05-18-2019 at 12:06 PM.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try disconnecting the shift interrupt switch from the power pack and see if spark returns.

5. Banned
    welp, started back at the basics. Checked starting battery and the charger cables were warm while charging....hmmmm.....
    Checked water levels and they were a tad low. Topped them off, charged until green light came on and started it. Spark back on all cylinders while on the muffs. hopefully, that's the "cure". Lake test tomorrow.