Thread: Flotation foam

Flotation foam

My foam is waterlogged in the aft section of the boat. I'm pulling the sub decking tomorrow to rip it out. Is any 2 part, pourable closed cell brand preferred over another? What weight foam is recommended?
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

2. Member
    I'm interested in this also. Just started researching, found this one -
    https://www.aeromarineproducts.com/p...-pontoon-foam/

4. Member
    2 pound is what the coast guard requires, more air voids in it. 4 pound more rigid with less air voids.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    I ended up buying 2# from Foam Supplies Inc. 5 gallons (16 cu ft of foam) was about $250 shipped.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Hey folks, has anyone considered Foamular sheeting from home depot or lowes? This stuff WILL NOT absorb water( put a piece in a bucket with a brick I it for a week!!) And gas has a very small affect on it. They use this stuff ,in larger sixes of course, to float hotels, houses etc on. 1 4x8 sheet will support over 1000 lbs according to their website. I started to use this for my old boat but ended up selling the trailer so....

Quote Originally Posted by Mopardaddy View Post
    Hey folks, has anyone considered Foamular sheeting from home depot or lowes? This stuff WILL NOT absorb water( put a piece in a bucket with a brick I it for a week!!) And gas has a very small affect on it. They use this stuff ,in larger sixes of course, to float hotels, houses etc on. 1 4x8 sheet will support over 1000 lbs according to their website. I started to use this for my old boat but ended up selling the trailer so....
    For flotation, however much the water that is displaced by the flotation material weighs is how much weight it will float. A cubic foot of water weighs about 62.5 pounds. To float 1,000 pounds would take about 16 cubic feet of displacement. Thus, a 4x8 sheet of foam would have to be 6 inches thick to physically float 1000 lbs (which the weight of the foam board itself would have to be subtracted from as well). I've not seen foam boards at home stores thicker than 2 inches or so, so their claim that a 4x8 sheet would float 1000 lbs sounds dubious. Now, if they meant that the board could support the weight of 1000 lbs on a flat dry surface without collapsing, that would be different story (Sorry to nerd out on you there).
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI