MOTOR COVERS ???

what I've been wondering is why are guys looking for vented motor covers for there motors to use while fishing . I bought one on Amazon and I keep getting guys asking if there vented I got mine to travel the roads on trips so as not to have bug splatter on motor (and there not vented from Amazon ) Just asking whats up with vented covers is there a reason

2. Member
    For the same reason you trailer with a non venter. When running on the water it keeps bugs off and keeps from cos banging it up
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    I was just wondering. But that is good reason

4. Member
    What rxskeeter said...and also you don't have to keep taking the cover off and putting it back on...and also I had mine made with a phrase on the sides which reflects on what the boat acts like in the hole shot and also my business ...It says "HAMMERTIME" in the same font as my business logo on my truck...I am a general contractor by trade...I get a lot of compliments on the cleverness.

5. Member
    The cover deflects a lot of errant casts. A 3/4oz jig can knock a hole in one. Keeps the brush and docks from scratching it.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

Been doing the vented cover for years...now in 3rd year with my new ZX225...its just smarter...
    wash 3x a year and that is that...and I fish 8-10x a month....
    who wants to scrub bugs/tar off that expensive cowl or try to get scratches off it? not me

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

7. Member
    I swear I think some of those bugs have a type of acid in them. Therefore very hard to clean off. Getting behind a dump truck full of debris don't help. I'm afraid to get a vented cover. Concerned it might cause a overheating issue. I just have a travel cover.

8. Member
    By the way I have heard a new cowel runs around 2k!!

Mine hasn't caused any overheating yet.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by Lookout View Post
    I swear I think some of those bugs have a type of acid in them. Therefore very hard to clean off. Getting behind a dump truck full of debris don't help. I'm afraid to get a vented cover. Concerned it might cause a overheating issue. I just have a travel cover.
    Have run a vented cover for about 5 years, no issues. Your engine is water cooled...….

I run a vented cover year around on my OptiMax. Got it from Hawg at Russell Marine Products for a hell of a deal.
    You have two choices where I fish. A scratched up cowling from low hanging limbs, and bumping into trees. Or a motor cover. Mine has never overheated from running a vented cover in hot weather.
    I pull it off occasionally for a good scrubbing to remove the bug splatter from the road, and running across the lake. Soak with 303 protectant, wipe, let dry, re-install. My cowling looks “like new”.
    My neighbor has a vented cover on his 250 SHO on his Skeeter. His came from RMP also.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Mine hasn't caused any overheating yet.

Its not going to since the the engines are watercooled.

13. Member
    SHO's run very cool anyways, the motor cover won't do anything. I run one and have the temp gauge. Never gets over 147

Edit: I realize I assumed you have a SHO but that may not be the case.

14. Member
    Just drape a very hot towel on it. Softens the bugs and easy to clean. Been doing this on my bike as well. Works great.

15. Member
    So if it's water cooled why buy a vented cover? Why not run it with a non vented cover? Is it air intake the reason?

16. Member
    So if it's water cooled why buy a vented cover? Why not run it with a non vented cover? Is it air intake the reason?
    Yes. Your motor still needs to breathe for it to work.

17. Member
    +1
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO