Thread: MK 460 yellow

MK 460 yellow

One Bank of my MK 460 stays yellow all the time. It did this with older batteries and does it with new batteries I just replaced with yesterday. battery is not hot and doesn't seem like it's continuously charging. Any ideas?

2. Member
    What percentage yellow light is lit,25%,50% or 75%? Are there any other lights on? What kind of battery is on that charger circuit and is the battery type you programmed correct? Bob
    In case you don't have the manual this is the link: https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...rPrecision.pdf
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-18-2019 at 07:26 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    What percentage yellow light is lit,25%,50% or 75%? Are there any other lights on? What kind of battery is on that charger circuit and is the battery type you programmed correct? Bob
    In case you don't have the manual this is the link: https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...rPrecision.pdf
    It is not a PC charger as shown in the manual you linked. There is no percentage Of yellow light. There's only one yellow light it's either on or not on. It is a regular lead acid battery. I didn't know they can be programmed at all much less One Bank program differently than the others. It has always had 4 lead acid batteries on it. 3 trolling and one starting

4. Member

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Swap that charger bank with the one on another battery to see if the problem stays with the bank or stays with the battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Swap that charger bank with the one on another battery to see if the problem stays with the bank or stays with the battery.
    I did that already. Problem stays with the bank.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    I did that already. Problem stays with the bank.
    Look at the fuse.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    So you have the 440D then? I dont see a model 460 D on the Minn Kota site. The pic you input shows led's just like my 460 PC. Is that what you have? That is not programable then. It sounds like the one charger circuit is bad or it is a false indication. Have you read the voltage on the battery it is hooked to? Bob

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    So you have the 440D then? I dont see a model 460 D on the Minn Kota site. The pic you input shows led's just like my 460 PC. Is that what you have? That is not programable then. It sounds like the one charger circuit is bad or it is a false indication. Have you read the voltage on the battery it is hooked to? Bob
    It is an MK4 6-0.. there is no d in the number. Battery voltage when plugged in and yellow is 13.4

10. Member
    That is the float voltage on my 460PC for my AGM's. It sounds like it is charged ok. What does the battery look like after 12 or more hours of being off the charger. If it is around 12.7 it sounds like your charger is doing an ok job. Maybe monitor it for the next couple charges and see. Bob

11. Member
    Seems to be charging okay on that bank. however, I have two other banks that are staying green but are not charging at all. looks like the trash can for this thing since yhey cant be repaired. This is my fifth Minn Kota charger in 15 years with a dual pro in between. All of the MinnKota have failed at one point or another. I swore off of them a while back but this one came with the boat. It seems to have lasted quite a while. The reason I swore off is because they cannot be repaired.
    Last edited by bkeenom; 05-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.

12. Member
    You have had poor luck with your chargers. I have had a boat of one type or another since 79. One onboard charger problem with a repairable Duel pro. It was 12 years old and between the freight and the repair I was better off buying a new one. Maybe all those electrical storms in Oklahoma. Better luck with the next one. Bob