Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

T-H Marine G-Force Eliminator Trolling Motor Prop Nut, MinnKota 80, 101 and 112 - Blk

T-H Marine GFEL-MK-BK-DP G-Force Eliminator Trolling Motor Prop Nut, MinnKota 80, 101 and 112 - Black

I just purchased one of these for a decent price on Amazon. How many of you guys are using one of these on your trolling motor? any special installation precautions like use water proof grease on the threads etc? I plan on using it on my Maxximum Pro. Not sure if I have a 80lb or 101lb, can't recall it's been over 10 years since I purchased it.

Any way the prop nut is on sale atm for $39.03

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Not what you want to hear, but i would suggest sending it back and getting a refund. Then buy the prop nut sold by Bob's Machine Shop. There is a very specific reason I would do this. Bob's now drills a hole in the center of theirs so that if you were to shear a pin and the prop is spinning free on the shaft, the hole will allow you to get a flat blade screw driver to the slot on the end of the shaft to hold it so the nut can be spun off. If this happens with the TH Marine nut you will have to cut the prop off to get it off the shaft to get the nut off.

3. Member
    I bought Bob's prop nut for this reason but if I already had the T-H Marine nut I'd just drill the hole myself. The pin on the MK 80-101# trolling motors is pretty thick so the chance of bending/breaking one is remote but the nut also makes it very easy to remove the prop at will to check for fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft. I did not have to worry about securing Bob's nut because of the large O-ring on the back side. It can be hand torqued to the point that it is not coming off unless you want it to.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

4. Member
    Has anyone done a comparison to see if these things actually do what the marketers say they do and how noticeable the benefits are?

I can tell you that i have ran the TH Marine and the Bob's on two different seasons. I have not sat out there swapping back and forth. They do provide some vibration dampening on my 80# Fortrex. I believe the Bob's may be a little more effective. I think its dome shape carries weight out a little farther than the cone design. It seems to be a bit more quiet. But frankly the two greatest benefits are quick removal to clear fishing line and good appearance. The vibration dampening is there with both, but not a tremendous difference.

6. Member
    Thanks. I'm getting an Ultrex and probably one Bob's nuts.......... for it. If there are legit benefits it makes me wonder why Minn Kota isn't putting them on higher end trolling motors or selling them as add-on accessories.

7. Member
    All snake oil

I did not know there was a Bobs counter part to this one.

9. Member
    I put one on mine and really can't tell any difference. But I can get fishing line out fast if needed. Did drill a hole in it after hearing some talk about it being a beouch to get off if you sheer a pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    All snake oil
    Even if it is snake oil it does making changing the prop or removing fishing line from the axle shaft a tool free effort.

I'll try it and see if I can detect any difference in the harmonic vibrations by listening and feeling for differences. I'm not a machinist so I'm not going to go drilling any holes and throwing this thing out of balance.

Should I apply marine water proof grease to the prop nut and axle shaft threads?

Edit: If I do shear a pin " Never knew that was an issue " I have a spare used prop I picked up on the side of HWY 5 in Lathrop, CA it has a few scuff marks but works just fine. I know it would ruin a fishing trip unless I was able to get the prop off while out fishing. Maybe I'll have to keep some way to cut the prop off in the tow vehicle just in case.

So what causes the prop pin to shear off? Bumping into trees/rocks?

11. Member
    I've got one, can't tell much difference. I know if my 80# Fortrex is above 70% and I turn hard it vibrates and makes noise like normal.

Not grease, put a bit of anti seize compound on the threads since you are mating two different types of metal.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Even if it is snake oil it does making changing the prop or removing fishing line from the axle shaft a tool free effort.

I'll try it and see if I can detect any difference in the harmonic vibrations by listening and feeling for differences. I'm not a machinist so I'm not going to go drilling any holes and throwing this thing out of balance.

Should I apply marine water proof grease to the prop nut and axle shaft threads?

Edit: If I do shear a pin " Never knew that was an issue " I have a spare used prop I picked up on the side of HWY 5 in Lathrop, CA it has a few scuff marks but works just fine. I know it would ruin a fishing trip unless I was able to get the prop off while out fishing. Maybe I'll have to keep some way to cut the prop off in the tow vehicle just in case.

So what causes the prop pin to shear off? Bumping into trees/rocks?
    cool
    Here is a video to show its snake oil

I got a TH one cuz it looks good. In all the years of boat ownership (about 20) Iv never sheared or bent a pin. Iv hit all kinds of stuff and broke blades off TM props. TH marine had a bad batch at one time and my red turned pink after a few months. Got another one a year or so ago and its still red... Does it actually do what it says it does? Well.... it hold the prop on. As far as the other claims... who actually knows. I didnt feel a difference. I got fishing line in my prop and it was nice to just spin the nut off with a little force. I do apply marine grease to my TM prop shaft the same way I do to my big motor shaft.

Is it snake oil... probably.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

I like it simply for the sake of swapping out a blade with no tools needed. I do not think TM props are built near as well as they have been in the past. I have broken 2-3 props in the last 2 years from normal use. They seem to flake off in chunks.

16. Member
    I just use a plastic wingnut that is simple to remove and they sell for $1.50 each. Carry a few extras just in case.

Did th-marine buy out the hydro nut? there are some minor differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Not grease, put a bit of anti seize compound on the threads since you are mating two different types of metal.
    I use marine grease on my lower unit bolts aluminum to Stainless. Figured same principle would apply here. I guess not. Do you know of any water proof anti sieze compound?

It arrived today Amazon less than 24 hour delivery from time point of sale transaction.

I have to say, it's significantly heavier than I thought it would be and it came with some clear'ish type grease that looks like Vaseline down inside the threads. I'll post a picture in a little bit. Still have to install it.

OK the package was a little mangled up and I'm not a fan of the made in China label it displays but what really bothers me the most is how this is a defective product and should have been sold as a blem or machining defect. Look at the machined names etched on the edge of the part. You can see where it is not up to snuff. It's going back. I also made a video showing how my prop and the nut does not run true and has some wobble in it. I'm wondering if I have a bent prop shaft from when I purchased the motor. I did get a discount on it and it was shipped half way across the country by one of the big drop the box a hundred times shippers.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-18-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast